RPM delay while trying to exellerate.

MxRed

Oct 11, 2012
So basically I've just got my cr125 about 2 or 3 months ago. And after riding a couple weeks. The bike started to have a major delay in RPMs and when trying to exellerate rapidly. The bike would do this until you gave it enough gas for a long time. or until you hit the power band in 5th gear then it would be fine, unless you stopped riding for a small while then it would do the same thing and etc. it is as if it is not getting anough of something and then it finally kicks in. Does anyone know what could be causing this. And what I could do about it? :bang:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
What year is your CR125?

Try replacing the spark plug.

Make sure the power valve is working properly. Based on your smptoms, it sounds like it might be stuck open.

MxRed

Oct 11, 2012
dirt bike dave said:
What year is your CR125?

Try replacing the spark plug.

Make sure the power valve is working properly. Based on your smptoms, it sounds like it might be stuck open.

What exactly does the power valve do?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The power valves on a modern two stroke change the size of the exhaust ports.

At low rpm, there is less port area, for more low end power. When they open up, the exhaust ports are larger and flow more, for more high end power. Powervalve systems have been common on 125 and 250 MX race bikes since the early 1980's.

Different bikes have different designs. On some bikes (like the '00 CR250) there is an inspection plug on the side of the cylinder. On that bike, you can verify the operation of the valves by removing the plug, revving the bike in neutral and seeing if the shaft that operates the valves rotates. Not sure if your CR125 has an easy way to verify powervalve operation.

If the bike pulls strong on top but has no low rpm or mid range power, it COULD be the powervalve is stuck open. It could be overdue for service, or something came loose, stripped or is not aligned in the parts that open and close the power valve.

You might want to get an original Honda service manual for your bike. They are expensive, but excellent.

MxRed

Oct 11, 2012
dirt bike dave said:
The power valves on a modern two stroke change the size of the exhaust ports.

At low rpm, there is less port area, for more low end power. When they open up, the exhaust ports are larger and flow more, for more high end power. Powervalve systems have been common on 125 and 250 MX race bikes since the early 1980's.

Different bikes have different designs. On some bikes (like the '00 CR250) there is an inspection plug on the side of the cylinder. On that bike, you can verify the operation of the valves by removing the plug, revving the bike in neutral and seeing if the shaft that operates the valves rotates. Not sure if your CR125 has an easy way to verify powervalve operation.

If the bike pulls strong on top but has no low rpm or mid range power, it COULD be the powervalve is stuck open. It could be overdue for service, or something came loose, stripped or is not aligned in the parts that open and close the power valve.

You might want to get an original Honda service manual for your bike. They are expensive, but excellent.
Ok thanks for all the help. I will Definitely purchase a manual. Do you know of someplace I can print one on line?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
duncanstives said:
I hate it when my bike won't "exellerate"...

... and in another thread

duncanstives said:
Fair enough. I will go ahead and replace it. It seems worn anyway.... Measures about 65.75-65.9mm at the shirt (depending on where I measure and how much pressure I apply to the caliper)

How's the view from that glass house? ;)

Top Bottom