DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
I'm not upset with the overall performance of my 93' RT180, I'm just looking to give it a little wakeup. It can be sluggish at times and I just want to get it a little peppier than stock.

There are NO aftermarket parts for the RT180 other than power-reeds and I think this may be all I really need.

I'm currently ordering from Dennis Kirk a small parts list.

2 new tubes
new sprockets
new chain
new airfilter
and new brake shoes (rear)

The power reeds they have are only 30 bucks and I can easilly swing them. I just want to know what sort of gains can be expected from a reed-only upgrade, also will I have to rejet, or will my mix not be affected?

Thanks for the help.

Dan

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You should really take a closer look at the blockage in the exhaust port. Removing it and re-jetting makes a big difference. I wish I had taken pictures of mine to see if it's the same as your bike.

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
I took the tube off a week ago to clean behind it and I didn't notice a specific blockage or anything. Is the blockage in the downtube or in the cylinder? Can I remove it with pliers or is this a dremel-job?

I do have an FMF can for a FMF Fatty built for a 88 KDM200 that fits almost perfectly in the stock position.

I'd like to do the reeds, exhaust restrictor (if you can kinda guide me to where it is) and the silencer... Also, will ANY mikuni jets work in the carb, or are they model specific? (How many jet sizes did you have to jump up to get it to run well?)

Thanks RM.

Dan

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
The blockage is in the port in the cylinder and you'll need to grind it out. If I remember, it ran with out re-jetting but was rich. You should be able to get jets from a local dealer.

The silencer probably won't give you much performace gain and it might be louder.

I'd go ahead and change the reeds.

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
Is the blockage part of the cylinder, or is it a piece that was grafted in by the manufacturer?

Also, did you change the exhaust port geometry at all, or simply the blockage around it. I know that if you go to far into the cylinder (like enough to change the shape of the port in the cylinder) you can really mess up the exhaust timing and completely mess up the motor (I've done this before on a 50cc moped... not fun.)

However, if it's a clear-cut blockage, it shouldn't be a problem.

By rich you're saying there wasn't enough air to compensate for the fuel right? Thus I'd need a smaller jet than stock?

Thanks again for all the imput so far!

Dan

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
It's actually in the alum casting. I didn't change the exhaust port dimensions in the cylinder at all. It could probaly stand for some tweaking but if you don't know what you are doing it can spell trouble, as you seem to already know ;)

Yes, I had to lean it out.

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
Thanks RM_Guy,

How exactly did you remove it? Dremel or a drill?

I know what I'm doing as far as 50-70cc 2-strokes... but that's mainly with German mopeds and scooters.. lol. Actually, the Yamaha shouldn't be too different, but I'm not looking to mess with timing, just the blockage.

Also.. would any Minkuni Jets work? or are they specific to the model of carb?

Dan

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I used a dremel to grind it out. Just open it up so the path from the port to where the pipe hooks up is all open and smooth. Be careful not to grind through the wall. If you do it can be welded back up.

Any Minkuni jet should work. Find out what you have already in the carb and get a few in each direction.

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
Thanks a lot! I'll take a look this weekend and see what I can do. Did you have to remove the cylinder or can you do it on the bike?

Dan

P.S. I've checked Dennis Kirk and did a google search, I can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for for jets. Should I go to a dealer, or is there a better site that I'm just not finding?

Last edited:

elcamino12sec

Jan 16, 2006
I would assume it has a cast iron sleeve, if so to obtain more power you could always bore it to the highest over bore size (usually .60 or .80) And at that time would give you the ability to do the mod that RM_guy did. I doubt that would cost more than 200.00 and would make a noticeable power increase. Power reeds will probably make it more resposive throughout the rpm range, I doubt it will give you any noticeable power increase.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
It's a cast iron sleeve and you could bore it out for more power but you will run out of options if you have to do a bore due to wear. I'd leave it stock.

You will need to romove the cylinder to open up the exhaust. There will be lots of alum debri.

If you have a good dealer I'd go to them and explain what you need.

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
Cool, like I said, I'll check it out this weekend and decide what I'm going to do. The power-reeds are a definate... also, I think the stock rear sprocket is a 51, and my bike is a 6 speed... it wouldn't hurt to up the teeth on the rear sprocket a little would it? Maybe by one or two? Give it a little more grunt in the low-end?

Dan

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
A bigger rear sprocket is the cheapest was to get lots of low end grunt. You will have to shift more and you'll loose some top speed but...;)

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
Well, it's a 6 speed and I never go out of 4th hardly... it's mainly woods riding, mild obstacle/slow riding. I think the reeds and the sprocket will be fine for now... I'll wait till I blow up the top end before I do any grinding on it.

Dan

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
Dennis Kirk has both smaller fronts and larger rears. I think they go up to 4 larger in the rear, and down to 2 smaller in the front.

How much will 1 tooth add/subtract in terms of speed/torque? +1 tooth rear = 3mph off top end? or +1 tooth rear = easier power wheeiles?

I need something to compare it to... I read in a recent Cycle World, that on a YZ450 the guys added 2 teeth in the rear and that seemed to add a ton of torque... but i have a much, much smaller bike.

Dan

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
One tooth on rear isn't going to be that noticeable. One tooth on front may be too much (equals about 3.5 rear teeth). I'd probably go up two teeth on the rear.
However, I have to say first thing I did with my bike was decrease one front tooth. It was simply too fast for what I was doing without that change.

DannyMoto07

Apr 12, 2007
I hear you. I'll proabably be making the order within the month... then do some before/after. I'll let you know how it works out!

Dan

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Yeah, don't go up more than 2-3 teeth on the rear. It would be a like a tractor if you went too large.

Mr. Mean St.

Jan 2, 2008
Mr. Mean St.

DannyMoto07 said:
I'm not upset with the overall performance of my 93' RT180, I'm just looking to give it a little wakeup. It can be sluggish at times and I just want to get it a little peppier than stock.

There are NO aftermarket parts for the RT180 other than power-reeds and I think this may be all I really need.

I'm currently ordering from Dennis Kirk a small parts list.

2 new tubes
new sprockets
new chain
new airfilter
and new brake shoes (rear)

The power reeds they have are only 30 bucks and I can easilly swing them. I just want to know what sort of gains can be expected from a reed-only upgrade, also will I have to rejet, or will my mix not be affected?

Thanks for the help.

Dan
Hi Dan, Eric here. You made quote about my old shop ph. # in your text. That # is no longer in svc. My cell # is (516)661-4246 I'm very interested in doing something @ my place in Deposit, N.Y. this year, such as a spode fest east. You're also in luck about your RT 180, as I happen to have 2 of those ['95's] as well, one having a 1974 RD 350 twin in it, the other having the power reeds. Get rid of the oil injection & premix the fuel w/Amsoil 100-1. Also, if you're ambitious, I have a tool for putting the stock 175cc head in lathe to get bulk of material around spark plug out to mill head/hand finish squish chamber after removing bulk of head chamber material. Stock cyl. head is an outrage. Earlier 175 head may or may not fit, as the RT has a Brazilian produced Yammy engine in it. Call me, let's see if we can get something going in Deposit this year on a grand scale! Regards, Eric

Top Bottom