Nov 21, 1999
Dealer wants 11.00 for this O ring. Is it made out of special compounds for the heat from exhaust? Mechanic friend said to put in standard O ring from the hardware store. Haven't rode the bike yet, am I going to get a strong odor of rubber burning? thank for any Opion's

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I asked Eric about this in a phone call a few years ago. He said that it would probably be okay to use a hardware store o-ring, so I tried it. It worked fine. It probably won't last as long as the pricey ones, but who cares. I didn't notice any smell of burning rubber.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I have am O-ring set that I pick from with good results. I have tried all the O-ring materials available to me at work (aircraft mechanic). I have not found any that last much longer or any that fail sooner. I even tried the high temp silicone O-rings used on bleed air ducting. The silicone did not leak, however it became very very soft and oil laden. It was not reuseable. For 11 bucks you can purchase a set of larger O-rings. I have had some luck coating the O-ring with hondabond HT silicone sealant.

Chris

motopuffs

Mar 15, 2001
one of the benefits of water cooled engines is the reduced operating temp, particularly on the exhaust side. Otherwise, there are many types of o-rings, each with different properties.

If I remember correctly viton and teflon are the most heat resistant types (but like cujet said, it probably doesn't matter)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
My .02
It's probably a wash money wise. Other than spec. rings will degrade faster but are cheaper.
A person who pays close attention to detail can do fine with OTC items.

bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
Go to pep boys they come in sets of 2 (4 o rings)for 2.50 i matched them up to my kx o rings, the pep boys are a little thicker,i just us a little grease to slip them in the cylinder.The seal is excellent BETTER THAN OEM, i get no drool coming out of the cylinder what so ever and they last just as good if not longer than oem.Here is the size i get for my kx 250 width 1/8 ID 2" OD 2-1/4. I have taking my pipe off plenty of times reusing the same o rings without a problem.

motopuffs

Mar 15, 2001
I got so tired of fighting spooge, that now I always put a bit of silicone on the pipe. I have never had a leak this way, even if the o-ring is less than 100%.

Nov 21, 1999
This forum is great!!! Thanks for for all the advice guy's. The O rings I bought at the hardware store were .75 each. Greased the O ring & pipe & put the pipe on. The silicone sounds like a very good idea. I would like to know how these mfg. & dealers can charge these kinds of prices. The dealers wonder why you mail order & get parts from other places. When will they learn?

motopuffs

Mar 15, 2001
I know a dealer that sends me down to the hardware store or kmart even if he has the inflated item on the shelf. I really respect that.

scotts250

Jul 30, 2001
O-rings

You can also find a large selection of orings in many materials at places like Grainge, MSC, etc. I have found that the nitile orings seem to get hard and tend to break trying to reuse them. The Viton work pretty good, but i found some teflon coated orings that seem to hold up really well.
All are much cheaper than the OEM orings.
Scott

reynome

Sep 1, 1999
I have been using hardware store o-rings for some time. They work fine. I allways keep several around, as they get brittle after about 6 months. I get mine at Lowes. Just bring your pipe in and see what fits the best. No nead for sillycone, they seal great without any spooge.

Top Bottom