Rubbing sound in forks

notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
I just swapped out my front fork springs on Saturday, and now there's a metallic rubbing sound when I compress the forks. Since it's raining, I haven't been able to go for a test ride, but it doesn't sound quite right.

I put in RaceTech .44's, and used PVC for the spacer (just cut down what was already in there). All other washers were reused, and I re-filled with Silkolene 5wt fork oil.

Any ideas?

Radiator Ron

Dec 8, 2003
You need to make sure your forks are assembled right to be safe, but it seems to me i've also noticed that noise when changing springs before, the springs appear to be shot peened and have a rough texture to them which is what i feel you can hear. It goes away with wear, but again make sure right springs and proper assembly.

Kwakasaki

Aug 22, 2004
I had the same noise after having new springs installed. The shop told me it was normal. I rode on them for months and had no problems. I did blow both seals and now im wondering, was it my fat arse or the springs LOL.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
May not be true in this (these) case(s), but:

A common problem is 'noise' of either a clicking or rubbing nature after fork springs are replaced or the forks are serviced.

A common reason of that happening is the way the forks were assembled. If you tighten the cap/tube connection by rotating the cap, that will often result in 'noise'.

The correct (ok...better?) way to do it is to hold the cap and tighten that connection by rotating the fork.

hog

Nov 13, 2001
Ditto:
Hold the cap and turn the tube to tighten. That fixed it for me. Now can someone explain why?

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
I just put xr springs in my 05 220r and the same thing but mine was a very slight sound. By the second or third ride it was gone.

ELF

spot

Dec 9, 2002
I just posted a similar question earlier today before I found this post. I just changed the fork springs in my cr250 and I hear the same metallic rubbing sound. I will try to hold the cap and tighten by turning the fork tube.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Not strictly true, but good enough:

Holding the tube, turning the cap puts pressure on the spring...'winds' it so-to-speak.

Holding the cap and turning the tube....does nothing to the spring. It just sits there. No 'winding'.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…