Run down of the 53rd ALLIGATOR ENDURO

WideOpen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 21, 2000
I wasn't a rider but I helped out with sweeping and checkpoints I thought ya'll might want a run down of the race.

The theme of the day was mud and water. It rained 6 days before the event but today was pretty nice. It was alittle hot but all the water on the track cooled us down plenty. Most of the riders said they had a great time :eek: but i thought it was waaay too muddy.

Top guys were:
1. Lafferty
2. Hawk
3. Reed
4. Hawkins

Jason Raines rode the 250A class since this was only his 3rd enduro. Some people complained about it since he was a factory rider. Of course he took the win easily.

btw: No alligators were spotted, but i did see a bald eagle :thumb:

WideOpen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 21, 2000
normal on a good, early row = finish

normal on a late row = good luck :worship:

i'm a slow rider, so i would have got stuck for sure

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
I am sure there was plenty of ruined gear with that crappy black mud!

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
I rode that event in 1979 and most of it was under water. Ruined the wheel bearings, chain, sprockets, and brakes. I said I'd never go back, and so far I havn't. :)

It just didn't seem like it was that much fun for the money it cost to get there, race fees, motel rooms and inflated prices in Daytona.

WideOpen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 21, 2000
Originally posted by D Lafleur
Just Curious, who was the Reed fellow that came in 3rd?

I have no clue, but he was a pro rider.

Layton, The race back then were alot different than it is now. It has changed locations a couple times and its normally not under so much water. The best thing to do is stay in st. augustine and go down everyday. We're about 40 miles from daytona so its a little drive but it saves alot of money because our hotels don't go up so much during that week

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by WideOpen

The best thing to do is stay in st. augustine and go down everyday. We're about 40 miles from daytona so its a little drive but it saves alot of money because our hotels don't go up so much during that week

That's probably a good idea. Fourty miles isn't that far. I'm sure the race has changed a bunch. At that time we started across from the speedway. Probably a Walmart and McDonalds there now. ;)

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
I rode it as a part of my vacation We camped in the RV and took the Harley and the dirt bike to bike week! An awesome time

Barbarian

Nov 22, 2001
I think it's pretty sorry if GNCC pro Jason Raines actually ran the 250A class. What does he care about, a trophy? What a selfish and spoiled little bitch.

scott brown

Jun 2, 2002
i rode in the C masters class. i started on row 44 and managed to finish the race, actually placing 4th! the first half of the race was pure hell as it was mud bog after mud bog in the palemeto jungle. i saw many bikes stuck in deep mud bogs. i felt like i was at the blackwater 100. i think most people quit at the gas stop however the sections after the gas stop were much easier and a lot of fun. we did not see any other riders after the gas stop except two guys stuck in mud holes. one of these guys made the statement that he didn't realize there were so many snakes in florida. there was one long section of a flooded road at the begining after the gas stop which we nick named centerhill lake as it took out one of my buddys attempting to finish the race. the water and sand ate up my chain,sprockets, brake pads and rear wheel bearing. if not for the excessive rain this would have been a fun enduro, but who can control mother nature.

UMAGUMADOG

Mar 22, 2000
Jason rode 250A so he could be on the same row as Hawkins. Being a GNCC rider I'm sure he has no idea how to keep time. Reed is last years SERA champ and it looks like he will also be SETRA champ this season. His son and my son ride the jr enduros together.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Guy Cooper did the same thing as Raines back in '98.  He rode 200A so he could ride on Lafferty's row.  Nevermind that he's a former national MX champ.  Of course he won 200A and finished 2nd overall.  He's still a nice guy though.  :thumb:

Barbarian

Nov 22, 2001
Yeah and I'm sure Raines is probably a decent guy too. I don't think it's cool for guys like that to cherry pick so blatently. Even with only a few enduro's under his belt Raines should know enough time-keeping to zero all the in-checks. Timekeeping is just not rocket science and even without a computer AND Randy Hawkins tutalege he should be all right.
Winning the 250A class at the Alligator would be a lifetime event for many average A riders. I'd probably keep that trophy for the rest of my life. Raines will probably just throw it away.
Anyway, now that I'm off my soapbox I think I'll go cherry pick the D-class at some motocross.

Top Bottom