DREWSER

Sep 12, 2003
Hi there Folks,
This may be a silly question but I was wondering how you run in a new bike ? I'm thinking of getting a new CR250 and have no idea how you run them in as I have only owned older second hand bikes, any info would be great. Thanks.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If you buy a new bike, you will get an owner's manual with the break in procedure.  For my '99 CR250, it basically says take it easy for the first 15 miles. :thumb:

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Originally posted by dirt bike dave
For my '99 CR250, it basically says take it easy for the first 15 miles. :thumb:

Your bike came w/an odometer?! :confused: Man, I got hosed on my '02...

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
My manual says:

"Help assure your CR's future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you ride during the first operating day or 15 miles (25 km).  During this period, avoid full throttle starts and rapid acceleration."

It goes on to say the procedure should be followed when the piston, rings, cylinder, crank or crank bearings are replaced.

Faded - I have an ICO odo to ensure proper break in.  But you can follow the recommended procedure with the official Honda calender that came with your  '02.  You did get your Honda calender, right?   ;)  

mylesc

~SPONSOR~
Apr 24, 2002
What about petroleum based premix for breakin. In the car world it's a big no no to break in a new motor on synthetic oil. Basically it's too slick and won't let the rings seat propperly. Do people break in with Petroleum based premix and then make the switch to synthetic? Anyone just start out with synthetic?

whitesands26

Mod Ban
Nov 17, 2002
The link above has a couple of useful posts...Most notably the post by vznx1w.

Always warm your bike up before riding....Never just start blipping the throttle while your bike is cold to "clean it out"...Save wide open throttle until AFTER the bike is warmed up..This goes for during and after break in...

Do four to five 10 to 15 minute runs with several brief full throttle blasts in the first three gears...Do not over rev or lug the engine...Get the bike on the pipe but avoid over revving...Do not stick it in a high gear and putt around.

After each 10 to 15 minute run stop and let the bike cool down completely.

The goal is to seat the rings so you have adequate compression so the bike performs up to its potential. Poor ring seal can result in poor performance and reliability issues.

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
mylesc,

Aren't there cars/trucks that come from the factory with Synthetics ?

T

whitesands26

Mod Ban
Nov 17, 2002
Yes...Actually GM will have several cars coming off the floor with synthetic in them...

However....If you've noticed that with more stict EPA regulations, many NEW car manuals are now reccommending 5w30 oils that have friction modifiers in them..Most of the lower weight oils such as 10w40 and lower have the words "energy conserving" on the back of them which means that they have these friction modifiers such as moly. The lower weight oils allow the car manufacturers to marginally increase the mpg in the cars, thus meeting these new strict regulations by the worthless organization known as the epa..Synthetic oils are also capable of producing slightly higher mpg and is most like the reason for them being put in the car as a cheaper alternative to increasing the cars mpg...Although they do have the added benefit of more protection to the engine.

However....It's not a critical issue when breaking in a two stroke motor..A case can be made for not using synthetics on a two stroke motor during break in period....However, the drawbacks of a petroleum based two stroke oil far outweigh the potential benefits.

A 4 stroke motor is a different story...During break in for a 4 stroke motorcycle you need to use regular oil...Synthetics can be used at a later time, but only if the synthetic oil doesn't have moly in it.

whitesands26

Mod Ban
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by whitesands26
The link above has a couple of useful posts...Most notably the post by vznx1w.

Always warm your bike up before riding....Never just start blipping the throttle while your bike is cold to "clean it out"...Save wide open throttle until AFTER the bike is warmed up..This goes for during and after break in...

Do four to five 10 to 15 minute runs with several brief full throttle blasts in the first three gears...Do not over rev or lug the engine...Get the bike on the pipe but avoid over revving...Do not stick it in a high gear and putt around.

After each 10 to 15 minute run stop and let the bike cool down completely.

The goal is to seat the rings so you have adequate compression so the bike performs up to its potential. Poor ring seal can result in poor performance and reliability issues.

One more note...Try not to break in your new bike in loamy or sandy track conditions...These conditions produce too much of a load on a new bike and produce too much heat.

The most ideal place would be a hard packed surface or a field with grass where there is plenty of traction....

You want enough gas pressure so the rings will seat but you want to minimize the heat produced...This is the reason for the brief full throttle runs(ring seating for proper compression) on hard tractible terrain(minimal load) and the cool down periods(minimize heat).

Top Bottom