Running out of gas,Foul? KDx 200 88

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
Alright, ive fouled 5 sparkplugs in the month ive owned this bike, a few of the 5 times was when the engine ran out of gas and died.

The petcock on my bike doesnt have labels so the first time i found out the hard way that up is reserve. It fouled a plug, Second time it just ran out from on, it stall and i went to put it on RES and it wouldnt start,New plug first kick it was running.

Other times i have noticed that it fouled when the engine was cold . When the engine is cold it doesnt really have its top end, until it warms up, and when i try to give it a little gas when its cold it seems to foul plugs( now i just warm the bike up the right way) and that seemed to help.

why is it doing this, does it make any sense, is it somthing else and i just think its gas or what.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
How old is the fuel? What grade is it? What oil and ratio are you running? Stock jetting? Stock motor? How old is the top end? Do you know any history on the bike?

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
new gas, its normal gas 87 octane a beleive. I no nothing about the bike, it was 200$ the engine looks good inside, i had it apart,i dont think it had ever been apart, i just change the wheel bearings and i belive it was there first change, witch make me think it sat alot versus being used.because my dads 2000, bike just needed new wheelbearings

and my friends 2006 bike is getting a little shaking in wheel bearings

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
What oil are you using in the gas, and at what ratio? What jets are in the carb? Is it smoking or spooging excessively? Is the compression good?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I'd start with a very thorough cleaning of the carb, even pulling the petcock in the tank would be a good idea. If it sat for a long time with fuel in it it could have a bunch of gelled up oil in the float bowl or even the bottom af the tank.

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
Well i think i figured it out. I think it was fouling because the float jet isnt seating, sometimes it will work right and i can leave the gas on, other times ill stop and smell gas,look down and a stream of gas will be running out of bolth overflows top and bottom until i shut the gas off( makes the bike bad on gas). To adjust the float not to do it should i just bend the little tab that lets the jet sit down in?

i run just mag1 2 cycle oil (3.29 a quart)at 32:1 ratio. I cleaned and oiled my airfilter thinking it might lean it out a little but i have to fix the float seat hight before i try anything else

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
That would certainly do it! Check the condition of the float valve. If the rubber tip is worn, it needs to be replaced. If it looks like it will seal up ok, adjust the float.

csdwarf

Apr 19, 2010
Theres rubber on the end, i cant really tell how good of shape its in thought,doesnt look to bad. Do i just bend that tab to adjust the float ?

Top Bottom