jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
I put in my new plug today and had the bike out. What a mess though lol, terribly muddy today. I don't think my back tire ever really had traction but it sure was fun. I was still climbing everything, just took a little more skill. Well I thought it would be a good idea today to really blow her out, let it run at full revs for a while. We have a decent straightaway, but it's not real wide and there's a hill on the left side so third gear is about all you can get. So I was winding it in each gear.

I noticed this at second and third. I would get to a point where I could rev a little more but not pick up any speed. This happened in both gears. The bike sounded fine but it just wouldn't go anymore. It seems to me like this is a gearing thing. I have a 52 tooth sprocket in the back and I think 13 in the front. I guess I was crazy enough to believe that these bikes would keep acclerating no matter what. I have a 2001 Honda CR125 and I figure maybe it's that 5 speed transmission with it's close ratio maybe holding me back. Anyway just for my sake, I'd appreciate replies.

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
I also maybe should say that at this point the bike almost seems to break up a little even. I've been wondering if it's a little too rich already since it spooges a decent amount and has fouled two plugs recently. I plan on getting a Honda Service Manual for this and then I might take apart this carb and see what the deal is.

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
I think the jetting could be it. It seems like it's a little rich but I don't know, it seems more likely that it's just out of gear. I mean it won't accelerate forever. I would doubt the clutch since it's NEVER been raced and is in perfect shape. I mean they'res not even a scratch on the clutch cover or frame from a pair of boots. I just changed my gear oil last week too but I noticed this before that as well so it isn't a problem from that.

If I do take apart this carb, how would I know what would cause this and how to fix it?

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
That's what I thought too. The gears are very close on the bike, like most MX bikes I would imagine since on a track you don't have the long straightaways to wind out a bike. Just like it says on the Honda site, close ratio 5 speed. The thing doesn't die at high RPMs, I just gotta shift it.

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
Marcus, I don't know when I will be able to take apart the carb since I have to have my dad in a good mood to help me out. I don't trust myself on this bike lol or anything for that matter really. But when I do get it open I will be able to tell you guys. Somewhere on the jets it does say the size correct so I know what I'm seeing. I probably won't be able to do this until I get my service manual though, so I know exactly how everything should be when I put it back together.

yz250roost

~SPONSOR~
Oct 16, 2000
yeah seems like jetting to me since on almost all bikes you will feel the need to shift (to avoid exploding the bike) a whole lot sooner before you feel that you can't accelerate anymore, seems alot like a clutch problem too, try letting out your clutch cable a little at a time and test from there, and another thing, don't adjust your clutch cable while the bike is cold, because since it's a wet clutch the oil has to be warm for it to give the right reading, adjust after it is warm.

SiCnTwIsTdYz

Apr 10, 2002
drain th gearbox oil and smell it you can tell if the clutch is fried by having the oil smell like rotten eggs really smelly, also it was also muddy that day and you were probably using the clutch alot, my friend was feathering his, fooling around like a jackass like he is and i said your gonna fry it dude and he was like no and guess what happened 5 minuts later.....? guessed right he fried it... so id check that out-mike

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
Yeah well I was just out yesterday in a much drier day. I was on the same open trail but I was just shifting earlier before it stopped accelerating and it was perfect. Certainly feels fast enough to me. But when I pulled the plug today to clean it it was clearly running rich. I really don't think I should have to buy a new main jet or anything, so would adjusting the position of the jet needle set it up right?

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
I think I may look into this. Where is a good place to buy new jets? I really wish I could get a few different sizes at once cause it seems retarded to buy just one size from an internet site? My local shop should have them though correct?

Top Bottom