RUNS for 50 Sec idle than STOPS what is it?

zlajabl

Jun 29, 2007
RUNS for 50 Sec idle then STOPS what is it?

Hi Everyone,
I just got my bike started today for the first time after replacing CDI, I now have sparks and bike starts great, however runs for first 50 Seconds at idle that just dies. I pulled the spark plug out it was wet, cleaned it reinstalled, bike starts again for 50 seconds and then dies. So I did the same procedure again but this time I gave it a lot more throttle but it seems to be chocking after the throttle is advanced over 50%. Any Ideas anyone?

Last edited:

GoT_GreeN

Jun 17, 2007
I'm guessing the bike was running good before the down time? Did you leave your gas on all this time? If you did the carb is over loading and the gas and oil in the bowl could have seperated. Try this, turn your gas off and crank it, let it run till it starts to idle high which means the bowl is running out, now cut your gas back on. Note, unless you have the bike idled high, it's not going to idle long.

zlajabl

Jun 29, 2007
I will try that sounds like a good start. I bought this bike broken, it wouldn't start, so I figured it out and got used CDI of E-bay and now bike starts fine. Guy that I bought it from said bike ran fine before. I have also drained old gas that was left in the tank and added new gas. I just figured out on 2 stroke bike it's not really going to idle for a long time, some guys out there have carbs adjusted to idle 2-5 seconds maximum after throttle is released, they say it's help from fouling plugs. Thanks for quick response, looks like I have some homework to do now and I will keep you guys informed.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
If the bike sat for a while you may have a plugged pilot jet/idle jet. Remove the float bowl and clean all the jets. Make sure you can see daylight through the pilot jet. I has a very small orifice and can clog very easily.

zlajabl

Jun 29, 2007
Ok here's what I have done so far. I took carb off completely and cleaned all the jets, floats, it looks like it's new now, reinstalled it and now I can't even get it started, and the worst thing my clutch lever when pushed in it does not make any difference bike would still not roll free in any gear. It's like something inside gears is stuck now, also I have mixture of oil and gas going down the exhaust pipe from the cylinder and the plugs are wet non stop now. Man this is becoming a serious project now. I bought manual on e-bay last week it should come in any time now, but since I bought this bike, i had fun for about 5 minutes on it :ride: , but had to push it back up the hill for about 45 minutes :bang: . If anyone knows or has any ideas about these problems please say it, otherwise this engine is coming off the bike next weekend for some mayor overhaul.

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
the clutch plates are stuck from setting- after you get it runing- hold the handle in-
or take it apart ,and free each plate from each other-
get all the fuel out of the bottom of the cylinder!!!-- this is whats fouling your plug -
you might need to turn it upside down ,and kick it over with the plug out-
depends on how much is in there-
the floats might not be sealing - and that lets the fuel flow right in the cylinder =a fouled plug
get some ether-- to clean the old gas ,and oil out of the cylinder- --- it drys a lot faster

if carb is clean- pilot jet -(the little 1) is clean - then check the reeds!!
use good oil- i use klotz-40:1
pour a lil gas in the plug hole to get it going-
see how it does

Top Bottom