schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
I just put a unifilter on my bike, and the power increase is incredible compared to the previous filter.

but,....

It gets really hot, hot enought to hurt to the touch in 5-6 minutes of riding .

I think the increased airflow is causing the bike to run a little lean.

the thing is, it has a ton of power, and other than about 5 seconds of choke (literally) when I start it up, it runs like a top!

so, the signs are kind of pointing towards a lean condition.

is'nt there a air/fuel mixture screw on the carb that would allow me to make the whole throttle range, from idle to wot richer?

please! I would like to avoid burning up my engine!
if anybody can tell me where the air/fuel mixture screw i, and if it will adjust make the bike run richer, that would be great!

thanks...

-Alex

jdager

Apr 26, 2008
from what I understand, the air screw will only affect it from 0 to about 1/4 throttle. sounds like you need to rejet the bike through the entire range. there should be a sticky at the top of the page with info, or do a search for sparkeys jetting guide. a little intimidating the first time you try it, but it actually is very easy, just takes a little time.

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
thanks! if i were to do a sparkplug reading, if it is brown or has a light coating of oil on it, it is fine, right?

what should I watch for?

I know a white tip on the sparkplug shoud be avoided, but what else?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Vast power increases from a simple air filter change? On what planet is this? You have discovered that by changing the air filter it has altered your jetting. Think how it will run if you bother to learn to jet your engine or change the silencer packing?

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
my other air filter was like a plastic bag over the carb intake, since the previous owner made his own with some filter foam and a peice of pvc. that was causing it to run very rich, since I never needed the choke, and the bike was sort of sluggish. and, you could open the throttle all the way, but the airflow was not there, so the bike went super-rich, and bogged way the hell down.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
You also should have posted this in only one forum.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
The quickest, cheapest and generally most effective jetting adjustment is to change the needle height.

On most bikes it is pretty simple. Unscrew the top cap (this is where the throttle cable comes in). When you remove the top cap the throttle slide comes out with it. There will be a needle that sticks out beneath the throttle slide. Where the throttle cable connects to the slide there will be an adjustment to raise or lower the needle. Raising the needle opens the needle jet earlier, making the mixture more rich.

The needle is the dominant factor for throttle settings between 1/4 and 3/4 and has a fair influence on WOT.

Try that first, as it doesn't cost anything and is easier to do.

Rod

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
3 forums, all say the same thing????????????????????

HUH? what are you talking about?

rmc_olderthandirt said:
The quickest, cheapest and generally most effective jetting adjustment is to change the needle height.

On most bikes it is pretty simple. Unscrew the top cap (this is where the throttle cable comes in). When you remove the top cap the throttle slide comes out with it. There will be a needle that sticks out beneath the throttle slide. Where the throttle cable connects to the slide there will be an adjustment to raise or lower the needle. Raising the needle opens the needle jet earlier, making the mixture more rich.

The needle is the dominant factor for throttle settings between 1/4 and 3/4 and has a fair influence on WOT.

Try that first, as it doesn't cost anything and is easier to do.

Rod

thanks, rod!

that's what I've been looking for!

Top Bottom