Rust on Pipe

dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
I got a used FMF Gold Series Pipe and it has some rust on it. Does anyone have a good way of removing the rust to make the pipe shine like new?

Any advice or techniques would help.

Thanks

adamant

Mar 20, 2006
Maybe u could try a light scouring pad. When my dep pipe got rusty which is a bare metal finnish unlike your fmf. I got on it with a fine sand paper & resurfaced the bare metal it came up like brand new. Then I sprayed the pipe with a high temp clear coat to provide a seal.

dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
Thanks,

I will give that a shot. Does anyone else have some suggestions.

twoofeach

Dec 15, 2004
I would hit it with some steel wool to remove the rust then polish it with some Mother's Chrome Polish. Bling Bling Baby!

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
SOS pads, the ones with the soap in em.
A close second is steel wool, a decently fine grit.
3rd is Scotch Brite pads. If it's heavier rust it tears the pads up pretty quickly.

This is what I have found anyway when trying to clean rust off pipes, car wheels, and bicycle frames. I used to live in Michigan and I played with all my toys all winter long.

xcracer72

Uhhh...
May 28, 2006

yea thats it,..... sos with the soap :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :cool: :cool:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I've always been satisfied with a fine scotch brite and some WD40 for cleanup like that.

dmdee99

Apr 24, 2006
Thanks for all the tips. I went ahead and used some steel wool and some wd40 on the pipe and it came out pretty good. I think I will give the Mothers chrome polish a try later on.

Thanks again :) :) :)

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Autozone and other parts stores sell Naval Jelly. Wipe it on and the rust goes away. The stuff rocks.

It even removes heat marks from pipes.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…