nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
We were standing right there - he came up short on the BIG step down double after the long series of table tops (with the Scott banner over it). Only a few 125's were even doing that jump - it was big. Ryno got bucked off and the bike landed on top of him. It took a good 20 minutes just to get him on the backboard and off of the track. It was pretty scary - but it was good to see him moving his legs and arms a tiny bit on his own.

Yeah - I heard the same thing from some of the Honda guys on Sunday - concussion, broken ribs, fractured shoulder, punctured lung, surgery on his hand... and sounds like he's gonna hang it up. That's too bad - I looked forward to seeing #120 out there on the track. He was hauling at Red Bud this year! Get well soon Ryno!!

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
Well, now I've heard conflicting stories. In other words you say a lot of things when your in the hospital.
Regards

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Just found this on www.motonews.com

Motonews visited Ryan Hughes at Westmoreland hospital east of Pittsburgh Tuesday. He is pretty banged up after a practice crash at Steel City Saturday. He has cuts and bruises, cracked ribs and shoulder blade, punctured lung, and they did surgery on his right thumb. He also had a concussion. Ryno said after this he's not going to keep racing. He has had enough of the hospital visits and concussions. He wants to start training riders and look into a long term riding school to help get people ready for a big series. He also said he wants to give some input on this issue of when a rider can return to racing after a hea injury. Currently the guidelines for this are a little fuzzy. Ryno has always been known as a hard trainer and a rider with a lot of heart. His performance on the winning MXdN team last year was one of the most memorable of all time!

IBWFO

Aug 5, 2001
Actually Steve (TFS) put that post up on MotoNews and later retracted it because he said people will say things in the hospital when they are down and out and then things can change when you get a little better.
I know I've been there.

JimmyD2

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2000
This on Ryan Hughes from Racerhead on www.racerxill.com

"Contrary to what you may have read on another website, namely the MXA site, Ryan Hughes has not officially retired from racing. He has a deal on the table with Jeremy McGrath’s fledgling team and he’s waiting to see if a doctor says he can still race or not before he decides whether or not to continue. Remember, this is the same site that wrote that RC won Steel City’s 125 race "with minimal effort," maybe not noticing how he came from last to third in the first moto. They also posted that Grant Langston had "a mechanical breakdown" and said nothing about Mike Brown except a listing in the results and standings. That’s what happens when you don’t go to the race; can’t wait to see how they don’t cover the this in the magazine."

You go Davey!

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
My regards to Rhino- hope he heals up fast. I really hope he can get one more good year in before he retires, but he needs to do what's good for he and his family.

J_dem_Bones

Jun 23, 2001
I hope he comes back from this!!
I rode with him once( he lapped me )at a local track and this guy is fast and way cool.
I would love to see him and McGrath come out to Elsinore and use us for practice for lapped riders.....hehe;)

So get well !!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Sad news

From RacerX

Doctor's orders: Hughes told to quit racing
Ryan Hughes just called the Racer X office to tell us that, after an extensive exam from Dr. Schleimer in California, he has been told that his head can't take another concussion and that he must retire from racing.

"Dr. Schleimer ordered me - with great reluctance - to retire from motocross and supercross racing," said Hughes, who rode for Team Honda this year but spent most of his career with Team Kawasaki. "Unfortunately, I have to pass on the deal I was offered from McGrath Racing to be Jeremy's teammate in 2002."

Hughes, 28, leaves behind a legacy of never-surrender racing. From his early days as a Team Green prospect to his victory at the 2000 Motocross des Nations in France, Ryno built a reputation as a hard charger, a fierce competitor and a world-class rider. He paid the price, too, with numerous
concussions, broken wrists and, during practice at Steel City, a broken scapula, clavicle, thumb and three ribs, plus a third-degree burn on the back on his leg. While in the Westmoreland County Hospital near Pittsburgh, Hughes and his wife, Jennifer, discussed the possibility of him taking some time off and coming back with McGrath Racing, but the doctor now says
that racing is no longer an option and that he must retire.

Thanks for the memories, Ryno. We'll miss watching you charge!

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Damn :(

That just plain ole' sucks!

Top Bottom