trailqueen

Dec 30, 2006
I'm not a trials rider, but Ryan Youngs new training DVD was suppossed to help trail riders somewhat. I won't say it didn't, but it retails for $49.99 so I don't think it was worth the money for me.

For you trials guys and gals I think it will be a good investment especially if you're a beginner or novice. He covers the basics of balance, bike setup, wheelies and bunny hops and goes all the way through splatters, stoppies, and Jap Zaps. He explains everything well as he goes along.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Why do you think it didn't help much? Are you a very skilled rider and think it's newbie stuff or???

trailqueen

Dec 30, 2006
Why do you think it didn't help much? Are you a very skilled rider and think it's newbie stuff or???
No, not at all. I'm a novice trailrider and I got some good tips and ideas to prctice, but a trailrider would be better off spending his/her money on a motocross training DVD like Gary Semics or Jeremy McGrath, etc. I didn't say it wasn't an excellent DVD, but it's geared for triials riders and the $50.00 price tag is pretty steep.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'm just curious because I picked up trials after years of off-road riding and I learned A LOT from the video.

Perhaps this will help you as it did me To ride fast, first learn to go slow.

It was for sure my problem and I'm certian it applies to MANY racers and riders. Relying on speed and force often is not the fastest and most efficient way to ride yet the majority do just that. A perfect example is the past two LMS (Last Man Standing) events. David Knight has dominated them and if you watch it on TV or video his skills are very deeply rooted in trials riding.

Practice the little stuff shown in the video and I bet you will change your mind in time.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
David Knight kills. I was wondering while watching Travis and The Nitro Circus 4 if that event wouldn't be easier on a Trials bike? I saw riders falling at places, in this video, where a Trials rider (even on an MX bike) would overcome easily; so yes those skills are important.

Ud Luz

Jan 4, 2002
Patman said:
I'm just curious because I picked up trials after years of off-road riding and I learned A LOT from the video.

Perhaps this will help you as it did me To ride fast, first learn to go slow.

It was for sure my problem and I'm certian it applies to MANY racers and riders. Relying on speed and force often is not the fastest and most efficient way to ride yet the majority do just that. A perfect example is the past two LMS (Last Man Standing) events. David Knight has dominated them and if you watch it on TV or video his skills are very deeply rooted in trials riding.

Practice the little stuff shown in the video and I bet you will change your mind in time.
Very well put. I have the DVD and it's helped quite a bit. I use the Montesa for practice for my enduro and hare scramble riding.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
trial_07 said:
David Knight kills. I was wondering while watching Travis and The Nitro Circus 4 if that event wouldn't be easier on a Trials bike? I saw riders falling at places, in this video, where a Trials rider (even on an MX bike) would overcome easily; so yes those skills are important.

The problem with using a trials bike for LMS is that those technical sections that are shown on tv are spaced between many miles of sand whoops, woods and haul butt fields.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Having riden small section of the LMS, David Knight has "billy goat" blood in his viens, probably some jackrabbit and cheetah blood too.
The trial demo at the Dallas SX this year was outstanding. One day, there will be a trials bike in my stable. Now, if Jeffd will burn that DVD for me.(hint)

Gatlin5

Sep 29, 2002
I just started riding trial, really in the back yard, after years of offroad. All I have to say is this is where every child, let me go a little further everyone, should learn how to ride. You get it all in this sport from balance, endurance, coordination in general and mastering of the five controls. It would help any rider starting out no matter what specialty of the sport you ended up in. There would be a lot less injures too, too many people are to worried about going fast and their techniques are lacking and I'll admit I'm one of them.

I purchased Ryan Youngs *Trials Training Techniques* and I think it is by far one of the best how to videos out there. I have not seen his new advanced video yet.

Safe and Fun Riding

Joe

Top Bottom