angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
Is anyone else as happy as me to see Ryan Hughes win at Hangtown?

The 125 class at Hangtown was super exciting in both motos. Hughes came from as far back as 8th in the first moto, after falling and won it. In the process, he passed ALL of the contenders on his way to the front. Most impressively, he caught and passed Mike Brown who was way out in front for most of the moto. Just before getting passed, Brown looked back in disbelief that anyone dare run him down at the end of a moto. Ryno stayed just far enough of Brown the rest of the way.
In moto 2, Brown , Sorby and Hughes all got good starts. Sorby, who was super fast, got out in front and I was worried that that skinny little frog was gonna walk away with it. Hughes ran him down and put a sweet pass in a rough section of the track. To his credit, Sorby stayed within several bike lengths for the whole moto, and even showed Hughes a wheel on a couple of ocasions. On the last lap, Sorby and Brown put on some serious :flame: ! Hughes just muscled his way to victory with the crowd going nuts. After the race, Ryno took a victory lap, stopping to salute the crowd with tears flowing from his eyes. An instant classic that may be the best race I've ever seen. :thumb:

And by the way, the 250 action was pretty good too. No matter what anybody says about the first moto, let me say this. KW absolutely outclassed EVERYBODY in the 1st moto. RC was 8 seconds down when he got into 2nd place. He steadily lost time to KW for the next several laps. KW looked like he wasn't even trying. With a few laps to go, and victory well in hand, KW slowed a little and rode cautiously, allowing RC to cut the lead in half. He could still barely see him though.

Unfortunately, KW crashed while leading the 2nd moto. All of the top riders were up front and a great battle was shaping up. My honest prediction is that RC and Windham would have run away with moto 2. I think RC would have ultimately prevailed based on conditioning, but I can't say it with any amount of conviction. What I can say is fact, is that RC passed and left Reed without any problem or retaliation. Tim Ferry was gaining fast on Reed at the end of moto 2, as was LaRocco. As of right now, RC and KW are a step ahead of Reed, Ferry, LaRocco and Tortelli, who's bike blew up right in front of us while running a strong second moto. Then, another step down are Hamblin, Vuillemin, Ward, Reynard etc. I can't wait for the next race.

SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Good report Jim, now I can't wait to catch it on the tube.

It's great to see a couple of quys come out of retirement to drop the mouth's of the "top" dogs. :thumb:

motomike137

Nov 21, 2001
Ryno may just have the biggest heart of any rider I've ever seen. He is what MX is all about! I think he belongs on the 125 where he can really utilize his gutsy riding style. He is one of the guys I really enjoy paying to see ride.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Originally posted by SirThumper
Good report Jim, now I can't wait to catch it on the tube.

It's great to see a couple of quys come out of retirement to drop the mouth's of the "top" dogs. :thumb:

"Top" dogs? Uhh... that would be the 250 class no? There should be a rule or something... spend "X" seasons in the 250 class, no going back to the 125's.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Congrats to Ryno for a great ride. He has always been fun to watch. He's had some tough luck in his career and its great to have him back.

IMO, the Vets and factory top guns should be more than welcome to race the 125 outdoors! Keep the Regional 125 SX series as a 'support' class designed for the up and comers.

But the 125 outdoor title is a big deal, and I would be very happy to see Ryno earn it this year. Also, if Ryno is out there we have a greater chance of seeing pictures of his wife in the race coverage ;)

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Ryno's patience was amazing in the first moto. He caught up to Brown and just waited for the right time to strike. I wonder what was going through Brownie's head with Ryno sitting back there stalking him.

LocoCD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 22, 2000
The 2nd 125 moto was the best racing action I have seen in years. It wasn't the typical boring holeshot-check out scenario of the RC/Bubba era. There was abundant passing, line selecting, set ups, "rubbing", lapped traffic, strategy, etc. The Hughes-Sorby-Brown train was flying around the track, NOBODY else was in their league. It took a perfect ride to win and Ryno pulled it off - he schooled the crowd on what racing could/should be.

Last Spring my son attended a Gary Bailey class in Lake Elsinore. The "retired" Hughes was there to show some techniques - he was incedibly fast. Later in the day he was out on the main track and pressed (ie: was as fast as) Reed and David V. while they were on the top of their game. I thought then he might be back!!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom