??'s about 46mm KYB USD adjusters - 96 CR250

kartstar

May 24, 2006
I've done a couple searches in this forum, but can't seem to find what I need to know, so...

Anybody know for sure which adjuster does what on a '96 KYB 46mm USD fork? It seems at first glance to be fairly simple - the lower one is marked "COMP" which I would assume to be compression, which I'd like to stiffen up one click. I recently read an article on suspension set-up in Dirt Rider Magazine that confirmed this.

I was happily making small adjustments to my damping when I happened to page through the Honda OEM manual for the 98-99 CR125, which also happened to use a 46mm KYB, and it clearly states that the Compression adjuster is the top clicker, and rebound on the bottom (in the photo in the manual, it even shows the "COMP" in the lower casting)!?!

So does anybody here with more experience than me want to clear this up for me? Did they change the damper system in these forks radically between '96 on the CR250R and '98-99 on the CR125R? Is the Honda manual just mistaken? HELP!!!

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
96 has Comp on bottom, Rebound on top, they changed the forks in 97 to twin chamber and the adjusters changed.

trevor9a

Oct 25, 2005
The above is correct but I believe the 96 also has two adjusters at the bottom. One is for high speed compression adjustment and the other for low.

kartstar

May 24, 2006
Thanks!

Thanks for the knowledge guys. I don't believe the fork has any HS compression adjustment - I did tear it down to clean & replace oil the other night, and I think it will work much better now. Please check my new thread on REAR shock questions!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom