?'s on '00 DRZ 400

RemeberMe

Jun 26, 2001
I was trying to coach my buddy on how to change the oil on his '00 DRZ 400 last night (over the phone) but I'm not sure how the DRZ is set up. If anyone could help it would be appreciated.

He says there is the main drain plug (on the bottom of the motor) and another small one between the clutch cover and the water pump housing. He also said that he couldn't find the trans. fill plug either, just the engine oil on the frame by the neck. Which is which, or does the DRZ use the engine oil for the clutches? If so, what oil is recommended? I don't think he would want to run a synthetic oil if it has to lube the clutches, right?

Also, anything else he should know about this bike (mods/perf/maintainance)? It's his first bike and he just wants it to be a relaible performer.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

B

biglou

Hang on man! Do not mess with the water pump area! Here's the deal:

Two drain plugs-the one on the bottom of the case, and one at the bottom of the front frame where the two cradle halves meet. It points downward and is at the bottom of the square section of the frame, right behind the bottom of the front fender if the bars are straight.

The procedure-start the bike, let it warm up for about 2-3 minutes. Then, drain the oil from each of those two bolts I mentioned. Replace the bolts, then, remove the oil filter cover which is just above the water pump on the right side of the case. There are three nuts or small bolts (8mm hex head) holding the cover on. Replace the filter, then use a funnel and pour approx 1.8 litres of oil into the dipstick hole located on top of the frame, right in front of the gas tank. Use a funnel, and pour the oil in slowly. Best thing to do is to use a four-stroke, motorcycle-specific oil like Suzuki's brand, or Yamalube 4. Do not use regular automotive motor oil (too much to go into right now!). After you add the 1.8 litres, start it and let it warm up for a couple minutes. Check for leaks, then shut it off. Remove the dipstick, wipe clean, then reinsert it but don't screw it in, just let it sit in the hole, then remove and check the oil level. Add more if needed, otherwise, close it up and go ride!

RemeberMe

Jun 26, 2001
Thanks BigLou! Is there a serperate chamber for the trans or do they share the same oil? Also is there any reason not to run synthetic motorcycle specific oil like Mobile 1? THanks again!

B

biglou

Same oil. Mobil1 RED CAP is the only automotive oil that should be run, but they have recently reformulated and there is some question as to whether or not to run it. For it's price, you can get the Yamalube 4. Roughly 3.75/liter at my local shop.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…