S&W rear shock spring color codes

bultaco4ever

Oct 14, 2009
Since Progressive Suspension bought out S&W way back when, the color codes that indicate spring rate aren't able to be looked up. Progressive still makes shocks that are S&W replicas but I just want new springs (stiffer). I just wanted to know what my current springs were rated at.

No one at Progressive remembered or knew how or who to look it up. I have 15" eye to eye 'Strokers' with a black spring that has two red dots and an orange dot in between 'em.
I wonder what that means?

The Progressive Series 13 shock is the 'Stroker' replica and they offer 3 spring rates that I could choose from. I just didn't want to re-order the same rated spring that I already have. Anyone know the color code system?

bultaco4ever

Oct 14, 2009
Hey Dirt,

I've looked over all of the charts that you supplied and cannot find my exact spring. Have you ever seen this...I have 15" eye to eye S&W Stroker shocks (5.25 inches of shaft travel). The springs on them include a short medium blue 3 and 5/8ths inch preload spring and a 8 and 3/8ths in black main spring. The black spring has three colored dots on it red-orange-red. This spring and color code is not on the charts you sent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LqZjGKWugg

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
hmmm, that thing is way more modern than the S&Ws I had on my 71 Penton.

bultaco4ever

Oct 14, 2009
Yeah, it's a '79 Bultaco Frontera. 5 or 6 years after the invention of long travel suspensions so it seems like space age stuff but now it's laughable. Penton's had Montesa engines, didn't they?

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Pentons had Sachs engines or later on KTM. I think only Montesas and maybe some Rickmans had Montesa engines.

You could get a good ID of what your spring rate is by smashin the spring against a scale so the spring gets compressed 1 inch. Unless their progressively wound...

Is this your bike? A model 215 Frontera MK11 370 (well the photo is a 250 so I guess it's a model 214 or 214A)? Cuz it looks like the shocks have got a remote reservoir..

Attachments

• Frotera MK11.jpg
    Frotera MK11.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,771
Last edited:

bultaco4ever

Oct 14, 2009
yep, that's what I got. I ordered some new springs from Progressive Suspension. I called them and got what they recommended. It'll be an experiment. I'll let you know if they work out.

bultaco4ever

Oct 14, 2009
The Progressive Suspension springs that are meant for their Series 13 shock fit perfectly on the old S&W shock body. They went on just fine.

Top Bottom