Safe to Ride During the Winter

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
Today I went up to the shop and got a new lever and was tinkering around outside on the bike when I got home. I drained the float then started her up to see if it would run. Started on the second kick and everything was A-OK, but then I drained all of the gas from the float and the tank, since it had been in there since early October without being run. I would prefer to leave it empty all winter long but my question is, when a clear day rolls around, even if the temperature is sub-40 degrees, would it be ok to do some riding? I know the cold weather changes the air/fuel mixture, but I'm not sure how exactly, does it make it richer or leaner? Is it worth it to take a good ride during this colder months, or should I just wait til spring again for a good ride. I really don't wanna change all my jetting, I can just tinker around with the bike this winter if I don't get to ride, but I'd appreciate hearing what you guys have to say.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Go riding and enjoy.

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
Sweet, but stale gas, the last time I got my gas tank filled with premium was close to 3 months ago, I'm not racing though so it's not going to be needed at it's best freshness, but will it cause any trouble like pre-ignition and stuff like that if I fill her up and do riding?

Glitch

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2001
If its alot colder than the temps you usually ride in, then your jetting will become a little lean. You could easily fix that with turning air screw in alittle, lowering clip on needle, and maybe up a size on main.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
You should re-jet ( richer ). Also, make sure you warm up the bike, at least three or four minutes, then take off slowly until the engine is hot.

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
Yeah today when I had the bike started I let it idle for probably close to 5 minutes before I just cruised up and down my road a little. I understand richening the air screw would richen up the pilot circuit, but what about the main circuit, I don't plan on changing any other jets really. So I dunno what'll happen.

A-RustyDemon

~SPONSOR~
Dec 9, 2002
Oh yeah guy go for it, rides in the snow can be lots of fun. Just tweak your jetting a little richer like was stated, no big deal to switch back, just write down what it's at now and what you've changed it to. If you don't do that already. If the snow is deeper than 6" just watch out for the front end... it can wash out in deep heavy wet snow. But you can ride snowmobile trails. Or if you have a frozen lake or pond... take one of your old tires and get some 1/4" hex headed sheet metal screws and a drill-driver and put them in the knobs. Talk about fun... flat tracken' and hanging it out big time. :D

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…