SndyRds

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 1, 2001
I prefer to use .021 safety wire. Look on line, Sporty's pilot shop, or Trade A Plane. You shouldn't pay more than $10.00 dollars a roll, and it'll last for a long time. You can find safetywire pliers for about $30.00 a pair at harbor frieght or discount tool supply for what your doing. The proper way to twist safety wire is six to eight turns an inch (twists). To get the gap out of the wire close to the grip, is hard without exceeding 6-8 turns an inch. I'll try to explain it here. After you have twisted the wire, by pulling the twister on the pliers the right amount you will notice there is a gap near the grip, grab the pliers by the handles (not too tight as it will release the wire) at this time the wire and pliers are at a right angle to your work. turn the pliers around as if in a cone shape and just twist the pliers a quarter or half turn of the wrist. Your not making a full loop or turn, your just twisting the pliers in a crescent moon shape with a twist of the wrist. This will take out the gap near the grip. practice on a broom stick handle or something similar. To visualize the action of the last part, the motion of the wire would be like looking down a funnel small end toward the grip and the action of your hand and the pliers would be able to go around the big part of the funnel. I know this sounds a little vague, but it's how the pro's do it. Then cut the end about a quarter of inch, double the end over(to not have an exposed sharp end) and push it into the grip, to hide the cut end. You should not have any sharp edges when you run your hand over the wire. the reason for the 6-8 turns an inch is , if you twist the wire more, you work harden the wire and make it brittle.
I've been an aircraft mechanic for about twelve years and work with safety wire all the time and see co-workers and other friends do it wrong on their bike's all the time. I realize I've probably told you more than you wanted to know, but sometimes, someone will like a difinitive answer. Feel free to e-mail me if you have anymore questions.

MxKid512

Feb 10, 2001
Hey SndyRds,
Thanks for the replies. I have safety wire, but it's .032. There isn't a Harbor Freight or many discount stores around here unless you mean Home Depot or something, but I'll look for them. I definitely will practice first. No use wasting a new set of Renthal grips when I can use the 2.00 broom;) Thanks again

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
I can't justify spending the $'s for a pair of safety wire pliers. Usually I will make a couple of twists then clamp my small vice grip pliers on the loose end and turn. Not as pretty as the fancy pliers, but it works.

If I was assembling components using safety wire every day (like we do on the turbochargers at work) I would invest in safety wire pliers.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
ditto!

I bought my SS saftey wire @ a mom & pop hardware© I bought the ©032, a little to thick for my likes wish I had bought the ©021 instead© the vice grip work just fine © it was like $4©00 for a large roll©

SndyRds

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 1, 2001
.032 safety wire will work, and yes you can use, a vice-grip, duckbill or standard pliers, it just takes a little more patience,,, good luck and let me know if you get the hang of it, a little practice and it'll be easy.;) ;)

LB400

Apr 9, 2001
To finish the ends, I just pound it in to the grip gently with a hammer. This sounds a bit crude, but it it's quick, easy, and leaves the wire buried into the grip. NO BLEEDING HANDS!

MxKid512

Feb 10, 2001
I appreciate all the help guys, but I'm still confused. Know I don't even know where to start. Could someone maybe simplify this a bit. it doesn't sound hard, but I just want to be sure. :scream:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Just be sure you buy safety wire and not some cheap wire. If you are just using wire you find, test it by winding it up around something and see how easy it breaks. You'll know cheap wire immediately.

I just wrap enough wire to go around the grip and have about two inches to spare. I grab the wires with pliers and just twist. When the wire starts getting close to wound, tug on it a bit, then twist again....repeat this till the wire starts to compress the grip. If you have good wire, you will be able to feel the tension build, as well as see the rubber compress. Bring your last turn in and stop. I like to cut it fairly close, leaving only about maybe a 1/4" of twisted wire sticking out from the grip. I then use needle nose pliers to grab the twisted pair and sort of roll it twords the grip rubber. Roll it towords the front of the bike, just visualize how your hand moves when you apply throttle. You don't want to roll the end so that you can catch on it in case it comes out from the rubber. You can then simply press in the twisted end into the grip rubber with the pliers. SOme grips have little notches in them to seat your cut off ends. Be sure you don't twist too tight, as you can actually cut the grip in two. You can also bind (or break)the throttle tube if it's too tight.
SndyRds has your best advise, and you will understand it once you have the real tools in hand.

roostinbe

Mar 22, 2001
Lineman's pliers work well for safety wiring. Hey Mx Kid, Home Depot, or Lowes has just fine wire. Make sure you get stainless, or galvanized. just cut about 3 inches, and wrap it around the grip once, just cross the ends across each other once, the grab both ends (with the pliers), and twist it untill it is imbedded in the grip, all the way around. then just clip off some of the extra twists, and press the end, into the grip. make sure you have the joint of the wire on the bottom side of the grip, so it doesn't impede on how you hold on.

Last edited:

DINGUS

Jun 25, 2001
Here is another suggestion, if you're like me, poor and from Texas. Down here, we bail a lot of hay... and some of the bailers use wire to wrap the bails - Its a great all purpose wire - and... I use it on my grips. I've never had a problem - but then again - I'm poor and from Texas.:)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Hey Dingus, do y'all use bailer wire to hold up yer wranglers too?:p

MxKid512

Feb 10, 2001
Hey DINGUS, na, I feel like I'm poor sometimes, but I got some wire. If I didn't I'd be in trouble cause there ain't many hay bails out here. I guess I'd have to go over to the Englishtown MX track and steal some of theirs!;) Anyway, thanks for all the help, I'm starting to understand how to do it. The way roostinbe said, makes the most sense, so I guess I'll practice it that way.

SndyRds

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 1, 2001
Even though you should double the end of the wire over and then push it into the grip, I always position the "end" of the wire where the opening of my hand is when it's around the grip, in other wordsbetween the fingers and palms. On the throttle side I do it when the throttle is in the open positon.

Top Bottom