Same old, Same old. Trail Rider 2vs4, etc

mikystyle

Feb 6, 2009
I've been looking at bikes for a while and I am switching from a '04 Yamaha Raptor 660 atv. I've rode quads my whole life but want to switch it up. I've been looking at the 4strokes just because thats what my quad is and just like 4 strokes in general, even my sled is a 4stroke. But I've been reading horror stories on the maintenance of valvetrains and the problems that come from neglecting to do so with 4 stroke dirt bikes. Why, if it even is, different from quads, only maintenance I've done on my quad is oil and filter every year as I only ride about once every week(weekend warrior). My qaud is mint and runs awesome and is 5yrs old. I've been contemplating a 2smoke now but I know those have general maintenance pretty much every ride(oil, maybe plugs, rings after a while, etc) but they are cheaper. I want something I can go trail riding with, fairly aggressive, nothing professional, but don't have to worry about a ton of $$ and maintenance like my quad. To be specific I'm looking at a 2004 yz450f with some minor mods. Guy says its mint and I wont have problems. He is the second owner and he knows the first owner did valvetrain work but he hasn't had to. If i were to get a 2smoke it would be a slightly newer yz250, probably 05 or 06. Anyone give me some advice, and please no 2stroke/4stroke fans ranting and raving how their engine rules and the other sucks, just want some honest assistance. Thanks guys. :cool:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I like to classify dirt bikes into two basic catagories: "off road" and "MX".

A MX bike is all about performance and weight. To keep the weight down and the performance up they push the engines quite a bit more than they do on the "off road" models. Higher compression ratios, lighter moving components, higher operating RPM, etc. The result is an engine that produces more power but also needs more maintenance.

Quads are usually not as sensitive to weight and are rarely raced. People who do race quads will change the piston, head, valves, cam, etc. to get the performance they want, and then suffer the same maintenance issues.

If you bought something like a Yamaha TTR-230 you could get away with riding and parking it for years. If you buy a YZ-anything you will be a lot better off in the long run following the suggested maintenance. If you do the work before it fails it isn't hard or very expensive. If you wait until it fails then the dollars add up real fast.

Rod

mikystyle

Feb 6, 2009
Lookin at a 02 or an 01 yz426f. Would these be better for a trail rider than a yz450f? As far as trans go? Any known problems with the 426s I should look out for?

Top Bottom