sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
Everyday on the way home I see a place on the side of the freeway that looks like a track but is posted with trespassing signs. It looks well riden. It's on the north side of 78 about 1/2 a mile west of the Ranch Santa Fe exit (I think). Does anyone know this spot and what the deal is with it?

sgr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 14, 2000
SoCal
One day after it rained I saw a kid riding there so I whipped off the 78 to check it out. Turns out his family had the property right next to the highway, and the rest of course is totally illegal (and it's pretty small). Can you ride fast enought to out run the dual sport cops? :eek:

And now when I drive past there it looks like they are developing the area. Sad isn't it. :(

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
I usually ride at Elsinore and the desert when the tempatures are reasonable. There isn't really anything left to ride in north county cause it's all developed or private now.

pt

Jul 31, 2001
Yea I had driven past that little sx track for a couple years and only seen a someone out there a two or three times. Now its its being graded over and right next to it is where Escondido Cycle Center is building its new site.
There is also a spot back near San Marcos where I have seen freestlye riders on a couple dirt ramps right next to the freeway.
I usually ride out at Amago

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
How do you like Amago? Is it comparable to Elsinore? I've been meaning to get out there but for one reason or another I just havn't.

J_dem_Bones

Jun 23, 2001
I've been to amago my self and didn't like it at all. the upkeep is not so good. I did like the back section which felt like a Out door National.;) But during the week you can get on and they might not charge you any $$. I'm not saying it's a P.O.S. I will go there again, but I prefer Lake Elsinore to Amago. Amago is close to me too since I live in Escondido, but I will drive the extra 10min(all Freeway)to Lake Elsinore. It seems longer to get to Amago to me.?? Its all twisty roads to get there. I found Amago riding my street bike on Mt. Palomar and spotted it. Maybe we all can hook up and ride together someday???:p

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
I'm thinking maybe next weekend!! I'm either going trail riding in Phelan or I'll check out Amago. I don't know if it'll be Sat or Sun yet but I'm getting on my bike and riding one of those days at one of those places. Is anyday or place more convienent for you. I'm coming from Ramona so going up to Lake Henshaw and down to the Amago only will take me probably 45 minutes versus the 1hr 15min to Elsinore.

chumbucket

Apr 5, 2001
have any of you ever been to mc cains valley that place is pretty fun mostly trails and hills.Were is Amago I have never heard of this place before.I would like to go ride there.

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
Amago is on Highway 76 up near Lake Henshaw. Check out ProRide ,they have a link on their tracks page to it. I've heard of McCain Valley but don't know where it is? Is it normally crowded? Single track trails or fire roads?

fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
Chumbucket,

Tell us a little more about mc Cains valley.

Bones,

I'm hoping to do some riding in a couple weeks. Maybe even taking a sick day for it??? Amago, Elsinore or even up at Ol'89rs place???? BTW, how's your finals going?

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Originally posted by sirhk100
it is posted with trespassing signs. It looks well riden.

Welcome to life in Riverside and Orange County. According to the police there are no legal spots to ride in Riverside except private tracks. But if you don't mind fracturing an occassional law there's lots of riding to be done. on a duel sport things get easier, simply becausethere are actual open spaces to legally ride them and you can ride a short while on the street to get to the "other " places. What usually happens is if you park at one of those other places the police on occassion will come by and wait by your truck and kick you out, no fine or anything. However I heard the last time the cops said the law was changing and they may be able to issue tickects. Before they had to confiscate everything and haul it all into the station, which was a huge hassle so they never bothered. As for Ol89er's it' s a blast but definatly fall's into those "other areas" catagories. keep checking this forum if you care to join us as we post here regularly.

An remenber Squad Cars hate WHOOPS:p

J_dem_Bones

Jun 23, 2001
Hey Frd2, My finals went awsome! Thanks for asking. I Graduate on Friday the 3rd. (today) so I'm riding both days this weekend with a buddy, since he will be gone for a month. I know one of the days we will be at Elsinore. I'm thinking he might want to race Comp. park or Glen Helen Saturday morning???

If there is a reply by tomorrow morning, I will post by 7:30-8:00 am Saturday morning where I'm going to ride at. Maybe we can meet up and run some laps...that's if I can last for more than 5......:o hehe

FasterNU

Jun 5, 2001
FELLOW SD RIDER HERE!!

hey, there is a lot of cool little spots around here locally. I live in PB/Clairemont area. I have like 6 riden buddies!! Unfortunately, I don't have much respect for the laws I think infringe upon my freedoms:cool:

. So i pretty much try to ride everywhere until they kick me out. Never been ticketed yet... uhhh any wood around here??

I think I have ridden that mini-track too. It's in the fenced off area, right next to the freeway.. correct? Reallly small and tight. Looked like they tried to build a 110 foot triple... didn't look safe in my eyes. I just pulled out my bike and rode for like 30 mins. . This was a while ago though... at the time there was a board announcing it was going to be developed on.

FYI, A great place to get some quick riding in is off of the 56 freeway in Del Mar....right where it used to turn to dirt. I highly recommend this place.. if you want I'll give you directions. I ride there consistently after work(4pm) There are fireroads, a mini supercross track(40' doubles), a GP type track(pretty rough and tiring), a stream, mexicans living in the bushes, some horse/MTB trails, and a construction zone. I would stay away from the east construction site though. There's usually a fire truck or maintenace guy protecting the grades. Sux too, because there was a bitchin 60-70 foot table top where you could over jump and free fall down a steep grade. The cops tried to chase me once.... sha! i park waaay up by the 5 freeway.

You can also go to Palm Ave...(not sure how much is left.. been like 2 months since I've been there).. Palm has some awesome cliffs, and a good GP type motox track on the hillside. You can also go down to the 905 just north of the border... some fun stuff there

Amago isn't that great of a track.... Not very challenging and not maintained the best. There is a new track in El Cajon now. I think the Elsinore track is pretty good. They change it alot, and it has a few tech sections. I personally have found Competition Motocross park to be my favorite.

fred2

Sponsoring Member
May 10, 2001
Bones,

I most likely won't be riding at all this weekend. :( But you never know. I'll post if I'm going. I am still thinking about taking off a day during the week in a couple weeks to go riding somewhere. Start early and finish by dinner type of day.

Faster,

I know some people that ride down at 905 and I've been thinking about going there after work sometime. My neighbor has an office down there somewhere so we could stage at his place. ???? Not sure about riding at that place off of the 56. Don't like messing with the law too much but I can sometimes be talked into it. :D

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
Faster,
Did you email me awhile back? If it was you, I haven't forgot and I still have your address and phone number. I'm planning on riding next weekend either at Elsinore or some singel track stuff up in Phelan if you're interested. My knee is doing good and I would like to ride this weekend but I actually have to work on a Sat. (VERY RARE) and I'm going up to Riverside on Sun. for a prerunner club meeting. If something happens on Sunday though and I don't make it up to Riverside I'll give you a call and see if you want to hit up the canyon by 56.

pt

Jul 31, 2001
Amago

Well I enjoy riding out at Amago. I have been riding out there since it opened up and it has come a long way! It used to be like riding in a rock quarry. Marvin,(the owner) and his crew put a lot of effort into the track. One thing is he says he will be buying a dozer soon so no more renting one. He also listens to the riders for their input. He will jump into a tractor and change it right their as you watch too. They have been laying a layer of dg on the infield area so you get a nice variety of soil on the track. I like the track because it has a nice mix of indoor and outdoor elements. It only gets really crowded on Sundays. While it might not have the full on prep and grooming some of the other socal tracks have but its not like the conga line you have to deal with at Elsinore :scream:
I know most of the jumps are tables but a 65' triple and a 90' table are pretty challenging for me. Every once in a while you will see some Pros out there. I once saw Tim Beatty out there just shreddin the place.
It also has a pretty cool local. You have the water park, which the riders get a discount admission to, and the shifter kart track next door.
I also know they just bought a starting gate and they are going to be holding races soon.

well jus my .02

FasterNU

Jun 5, 2001
sirhk100

yea, it was me. Definitely let me know!!!
Glad to hear your knee is doing better. My ankle and arse are pretty mmuch healed up. I tweaked my subframe/spark arrestor all back into place. i don't know if I told you, but on my loop out, i hammered it. It ripped the whole SA unit off and ripped a few bolts in half. This is my second subframe(honda CR250 is WEAK!!). It looks funny now because I couldn't get it perfect... fender kinda sticks up in the air like a stinkbug now.

fred2: It's not too risky at the 56. There is actually a decent sized area to ride in. A lot of people horseback up there. As long as you respect them, the farmers, and stay off the construction sites... then you will have no problems. I ride there at least 2-3x a week

just let me know anytime you guys want to go on a ride... the more the merrier.

chumbucket

Apr 5, 2001
mc cains valley is also known as lark canyon.Its off old highway 8 on bulivard exit.Its all single track trails with nice berms on ever turn.It also has some of the best whoops I have ever been on.It usally never crowded on an average saturday you could find maybe 3 people there.The hills there are also very fun,especaily one huge hill.There is also a big rock you can ride up and pull wheelies up it.There is a lot of trails so you never really get tierd of the place.Also have any of you been to lake morina also known as corral canyon.I am going there this sunday.All fire roads,real fun if you just want to go fast.

Last edited:

J_dem_Bones

Jun 23, 2001
Hey fred2, Well I'm off to Elsinore this morning!;)
I'm meeting up with 6 buddies so we decided on Elsinore. Next weekend sounds good to me ???
I want to ride tomorrow too. I've never been to the El Cajon track, I'm more than likely to go North.

I've MTN biked on the 56 freeway be for. Never rode there though. hmmm. I might just have to ride it, it will probably take the same amount of time to get there than Elsinore.??
Well, Im off chat at you later!;)

FYI- If you happen to be at Elsinore, I drive a Chevy S-10 / Lifted with a light bar on the front. Look for my YZ426f with #121 on it. Nofear gear and chest protectors. Black and red Answer helmet. If not well ride another day!!;)

Top Bottom