sraser

May 31, 2001
I am new to the Santa Barbara area and am looking for places to ride. I know of lots of places both to the north and south, but they are hours away. Does anybody know of places (trails or tracks) nearby?? Thanks for the help!!

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Not Much Close By :(

Unfortunately there isn't much real close by but there are TONS of great places within 3-4 hours drive. Gorman is only about 90 minutes, Jawbone about 3 hours, Kennedy Meadows (awesome! is about 4 hours). There is another place I blelieve less than 90 minutes but I am having trouble remembering the name! HELP GSR!!

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Welcome!

To Santa Barbara. :) There are 2 OHV areas in Santa Barbara (that I know of). Divide Peak and Upper Oso. Upper Oso is simply miles and miles of fireroad but the views are pretty nice. Divide Peak is small but there is a rugged track there. It is only groomed once a year but is pretty fun most of the time.
If you ride a dual sport you can legally ride off of East Camino Cielo of the 154 San Marcos Pass. You have to stay on the fire road though, can't go off on the trails although a ranger basicallly told me no one ever really checks.
Hungry Valley in Gorman is only an hour an a half south off of I5.
Pismo Beach (dunes) is an hour and a half north.
Ballenger Canyon isn't very far as the crow flys but because of the winding road it takes nearly 2 hours to get there.

Just checked out your profile. Do you go to UCSB?
There are 2 other DRN members located in SB (one right in my own house!) ;) so anytime you want to ride just let us know.

Last edited:

oabike

May 15, 2001
I hope you have a good truck. I moved to SB because I was an elite level bicycle racer and it is probably the most visually beautiful place to live in the US. I could train with Malcom Elliot and Lance Armstrong till my legs got sore and come home and hang out on State Street and look at beautiful women till my neck got sore. As far as dirt biking is concerned I'm screwed. Divide Peak is the closest. If you do motos on the track you will get good. The track is really roached out. Don't break down out there alone or we will read about you in the News Press. Gorman,LACR, and Toro Creek are the closest tracks. Piru MX(pirumx.com) is opening up later this summer. There are a few private tracks in Santa Ynez that are really good but you have to know someone. Pozo, Gorman, Ballanger, and Frazier Park are the closest and best trails. There are 2 'outlaw' tracks in Carpenteria and at the Barranca. Happy trails! Let me know if you find a slice of dirt in paradise.

sraser

May 31, 2001
Thanks for the info guys......and yes, i do go to UCSB. I am a second year student there and just found out about this site today. I am looking for people to go riding with, so send me an eamil at sraser@mail.com and we can get together. Tahnks again guys!

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Check out www.penguinsmc.com - Penguins is the MC club at Cal Poly just up the road from you in SLO. There is an area called Rock Front of Hwy 166 about 30 miles east of Santa Maria. I haven't ridden there but I have played around the area in my Jeep. If you're street legal you might also check out the area by Los Olivos in the NF - up behind Lake Cachuma.

Brian

Top Bottom