sat with a deer while he died today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandjunky

Feb 3, 2004
kmccune said:
While I do share your remorse for the deer, and while I don't have a problem with responsible hunting, tormenting an animal for no reason is just wrong.
I think you need to lay off the hypocritical brow beating. You act like he intentionally ran the deer into a fence and then stood there laughing while it died. Clearly he had the utmost respect for the deer as it died. If the deer were healthy he would have lost track of it in 10 seconds flat. Clearly this deer was dying already. Besides, he witnessed a deer die that wasn't his fault, while you go out and kill deer for food you admit that you don't need. Do you see the hypocrisy in your argument? I know we need hunters to keep populations and disease down, but I can't stand a hunter on a soap box especially when there is no argument. You really didn't need to post three times to make the same mute point.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Yes but what I did was legal and I don't believe that he can say the same.
That is alI have to say, if you can't under stand.... oh well.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
His point about not needing the food is that he could buy food, not that it would go to waste. Also, venison is better for you than anything you can buy. More importantly, if you don't shoot them then they get to slowly starve to death..

As for the dying deer, hanging out with it while it croaked wasn't compassionate, it was torturing that animal. Deer don't want to hang out with people so all you did was make its last minutes on earth one of sheer terror. If you don't have a means to dispatch the wounded animal then just leave the damn thing alone as you're only making it worse.

And intentional or not, he still ran it into the fence. While he may not have known about the fence, he certainly should have known the animal would flee.

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
Ouch. mtk is a tough one!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Knowing Scot, I really don't think...wait I know, he is not the sort fo fellow that would intentionally terrorize an animal.
Actually, as coincidence would have it, he and i had a small talk about that very subject at this past DirtWeek.

I'm not really convinced that any laws were broken either.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
mtk, you are right. If he did realize I was there, he was probably scared. The mixture of my street bike helmet and the black leather biker jacket would have been perplexing as well. I had never had the chance to really be close to a live deer, and I just wanted to see what was wrong or help him somehow, obviously I couldn't help in any way.

No need to turn this into a hunting debate, that's not the intent. I'm not into shooting animals, but i'm not anti-hunter either. Actually we could probably use more hunting here to keep the population down. No high powered rifle hunting is allowed in Iowa, the limited range of other weapons combined with the terrain makes the hunting a challenge.

In Iowa there is plenty of corn and other vegetation for the deer to eat all year long. I don't think too many of them starve. Sometimes if they get overpopulated, disease will spread, which can have a significant impact on population.

When a deer crosses my path (which is very often), I normally do not go out of my way to chase after them, but on the other hand I don't stop in my tracks or immediately do an about face either. On some days, you'd be constantly changing course because they are everywhere. Normally, they don't stay on the same trail more than a short distance anyway. That's part of what was strange about this guy's behavior...he ran right down the main path, like there was no other option, sort of like a rabbit would do. This time I was just trying to get a closer glipse of him before he frolicked off into the woods, but before I knew it I was right on him...

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Lot of righous attitudes flowing thru this thread.
I'll also say that I know Scott well enough to know there was no bad intention.

Pretty soon we'll be saying he interruped the Deer's natural transistion to the rainbow bridge, therefore damning him to everlasting, uh.. damning.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I would of probably watched too, but, FWIW, after reading this thread i wont now.. Lesson learned

I doubt any harm was meant..

Ryone

Jun 18, 2004
kmccune said:
Yes but what I did was legal and I don't believe that he can say the same.
That is alI have to say, if you can't under stand.... oh well.
Get off your soapbox already.
mtk said:
As for the dying deer, hanging out with it while it croaked wasn't compassionate, it was torturing that animal. Deer don't want to hang out with people so all you did was make its last minutes on earth one of sheer terror.
Your ignorance is prevalent. I guess you've studied deer psychology for a while now. It couldn't have been that the deer was in terror because he was wounded by a bullet/vehicle/arrow... it MUST have been caused by being followed by a dirtbiker.
I live in a neighborhood where deer bed in my front lawn. They're everywhere. They strive in a community where vehicles/people/motorcycles/dogs/humans come within just a few feet. Funny thing is that they very seldom run away in "sheer terror". Usually they look at you in a pissy way as if to say, "Hey, I was comfortable on your grass eating your flowers, and now you're making me leave?"
These deer love "hanging out with people" because some of them will feed the deer. I don't like when they do that, but the deer don't seem to mind.
Also, I've been hunting for about 10 years now, and kmccune's statements are not representative of 99% of other hunters I've met. Hunters see animals die all the time, even if they didn't wound it themselves. You'd be surprised how many bucks die from wounds from fighting another buck, or getting caught in barbed wire, or breaking a leg on rocks. It's a natural process that every hunter I've known understands and accepts.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom