Satellite: DirecTV -vs- Dish

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
I've had DirecTV for about 7 years and love satellite TV - no f'n way I'd go back to cable (digital or not).  My boss has got Dish and likes that.  In fact it seems that Dish may be more pro-active in maintaining and getting customers.  Is there a line-up or cost difference?  I've got DirecTV total choice (low $30/month package), then add $7/mo. or so for local channels, $5/mo. for 2nd receiver and $12 or so for HBO package (worthless outside of Sopranos, Sex & City, and Mind of a Married Man).  I also chunk in another $10/mo. for the Ultimate TV personal recorder service, which IMO is pure, evil profit for the satellite guys.  I can see why you could pay that for cable, but with the on-screen guide already in use on satellite, I can't see it.  Unfortunately, my wife would die w/o out (she can't turn on a VCR, much less set it).

Dish has the PVR too, and doesn'l list a monthly charge.  Anybody know?  Anyone with experiences with both?

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
I have Directv and like it. One of my friends switched to Dishnetwork because he needed newer reciever and one of them broke. They gave him a free 2 reciever setup and the packages were cheaper (this was 3 years ago). Last week another friend went to cancel his Directv for Dish because they raised the rates. When he called to cancel they begged him to stay and gave him a great monthly rate for 6 months and threw in one of the premium channels. He still plans on switching in 6 months unless they will continue to offer a discount when he calls to cancel. I got a free reciever from them simply by calling and telling them i was going to cancel because my reciever shorted by a lighting strike to the phone line, fried all my phone, 1 reciever and modem for computer. I also got a premium channel for 6 months too. :) Good service from Directv but makes you think alot of people must be switching since they offer so much to try and keep you?

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
I like my DTV. They seem similar, but dishnetwork has more foreign stuff. Ive heard of several people going from dish to dtv but never the other way. That person must have been pretty pissed. When I moved last year I called dtv and told them I wanted to cancel for now since my house wouldnt be ready for 6 months. They told me instead of cancelling, they would just keep it active and not charge me until im in my house. And they wanted to send a guy out to put up a new dish at my new house. Pretty swell of them, I think.

treefinder

Sponsoring Member
Jun 4, 2002
If you do not have a PVR or sat dish yet, I would highly recommend the DirecTivo combo unit. It is very slick, and AFAIK is the only PVR setup that lets you record 2 shows at once (or record something while you are watching something else). It also records the digital stream directly from the sat feed, so the recording quality is the same as the quality you'd get on the dish.
News Corp just bought Direct TV, so their programming might change for the worst under Rupert Murdoch, but no need to worry about that until it happens.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I've had the Dish for about a year now, never a problem with service. I think they charge an extra 5 clams for the PVR unit per month. I think Dish had a better start up plan than Direct TV.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I went with DirecTV after Charter Cable screwed me 1372 times. Charter Cable is the worst company I have ever had the privilege of being screwed by.

I've been with DirecTV for a year or so, and I'm completely satisfied with their service and their prices. I bought the receiver and dish for $50, and got 6 months of HBO, Skinemax, TMC, Showtime, Starz, and Encore movie channels for $55 per month.

Now I have 12 Starz and Encore movie channels and 105 other basic channels for $42.99 per month. Charter jacked me for $45 per month for basic cable. They also tried to charge me $29.99 for the $15 Las Vegas SX PPV. The Vegas SX Pay-Per-View event was advertised nationally at $15. :think:

I'll never go back to cable.

_SOLO_

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 15, 2000
Funny you mention Charter JP, we have them now for $50 a month and we only get about 30 channels. They are horrible, we will be switching to a dish soon I hope.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
I guess I'm the only person who didn't like the dish. I'd lose the signal once or twice a year, which was a little frustrating. Two months ago I lost the signal and it didn't come back for 5 days so I called DirecTV's customer service. They told me I'd either need to wait for better weather (apparently light clouds are bad) or reposition my dish (on the roof). I spent an hour on the roof trying to improve my signal and ended up completely losing it instead. This was a Saturday morning and I had already missed the entire Supercross broadcast. At this point on the roof it occured to me that it was ridiculous that I had to climb on my roof to watch television in my living room.

I called Charter and asked about their digital cable packages. They agreed to come out on a Sunday and get me installed. I told them to come on out and I then called DirecTV to cancel my service. DTV didn't want me to leave and offered me all kinds of great offers. They finally offered to send a service technician free of charge, but it would take 3 more days (without TV). They started to tell me how DTV was superior to cable and I told the lady the only thing I know is that with digital cable, I will never have to wait for better weather and I will never have to climb on my roof to watch TV. (Plus I couldn't get local channels with DTV.)

The overall cost was slightly cheaper and I got a discount because I already had DSL through Charter. I'm saving about $20 a month versus what I paid for internet and DTV. Although I HATE the on-screen menu with Charter, it is at least reliable and provides me with all the same channels and features as DTV. And I get my local channels too.

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
The dish doesn't have to be on a roof. Mine is in my yard next to a bush. It's unobtrusive, and works like a champ. I used an ancient compass to set the dish up, and I never have had any problems with the signal.

Kawidude, do you work for Charter? :moon: Seriously, Charter is universally reviled in this part of the world. That's why they're hemorrhaging customers in Birmingham. That's also why they now charge $50 for basic service. I've never been treated so poorly by any other company.

BTW, Charter's signal would disappear anytime the wind blew.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
I had Charter in Birmingham and I now have Charter in Modesto. I have to say I had worse service in the 'Ham, so JP, I can sympathize with you. I am in the market for some other form of connectivity, so this thread is of interest to me.

My main concern is that I want to hook up "Whatever" to a third room that does not have any cable connection to begin with. How much work is it to get that little detail worked out? I really can't stand a bunch of wires hanging all over the outside of my house just to hook up one more room.

Does Dish or Direct give a three room deal?

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
My dish was already attached to the roof when I bought my house two years ago, so I didn't have much choice on the placement/location. No, I don't work for Charter. I had no previous experience with them so I was completely unaware that they had tweaked so many noses. Where I live I have very limited choices with regard to Digital TV/Cable. Charter set up my DSL service a few months prior to this and it's been great for me. The people were nice and the product worked better than my old stuff (SBC). DirecTV's customer service left a lot to be desired in my opinion. That's why they lost my business. Sorry if it sounded like I was cheerleading for Charter. Bottom line is I'm not missing Supercross races anymore. Just giving my two cents worth.

slickpuss

Sponsoring Member
Jan 19, 2002
getmocha, Dtv says that they can hook up 4 tv's to one dish. Each additional tv, you need a reciever for and they will charge you 5 bucks extra for. I would call them and see what they will work for you. I know locally they have has some sweet deals from the stores. Like 25 bucks for 2 systems installed, for new subscribers. I bet you will have to pay 50 bucks for a new reciever but there are plenty used ones around also. Shoot, ive got about 3 extra ones laying around.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by slickpuss
getmocha

Haven't been called that in a while! ;)

I am convinced that if I just hooked up a TV in the spare room where I keep the eliptical cross trainer, I would actually use it if I had something to watch :confused: I called Dish a month ago and felt like I was getting the run around with hook up fees for the third room.  I have not called DirectTV yet, but looks like I should!  This is probably not typical, but the info-girl on the other end of the phone from Dish was so PUSHY about getting me signed on, that was a real deal breaker in addition to the extra $99 to hook up a third room. I knew there were better deals out there.

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
The two companies have merged, so you'll be getting the same service. . .eventually.

Natalie, keep your eyes peeled for a deal. I installed my own equipment, and chose the programming deal over the free install. I also purchased my equipment rather than renting.

If you can't catch one of their commercials, try their website. Shop around, though. You might find a better deal through a local satellite sales outlet.

DirecTV Website

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
im pretty sure Okie is right, according to a friend that works at one of the call centers anyways.

Pvt Joker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 29, 2002
The merger wasn't support by either the Justice Department or the FCC and was called off.

Directv and its parent Hughes Electronics were purchased by News Corp from GM this month.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
We just got the DirecTv setup 2 months ago, 2 rooms, 2 recievers , dish, etc., installed--free. It was cheaper than cable with more channels, and local channels were included, plus 3 mos. free HBO/Cinemax.

I would suggest calling them- they're dealing right now!

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
oops - I thought the merger was a done deal. :o

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
Just some figures:

I'm averaging something aroung $70/month with DirecTV: $37.99 for Total Choice package WITH local channel coverage, $12.00 for the HBO package (7 channels with nothing on), $9.95 for the UltimateTV service (Microsoft's version of TiVo) and $4.99 for the 2nd receiver.  Add one pay-per-view movie and your at $70 smackers.

As far as 4 receiver set-up, that is with the new dishes that have a 4-gang box on the back that can supply 4 runs to 4 individual receivers controlling individual TV's.  At $4.99 each, that's some hooch!  Also, I think the 4 gang dishes are the dual satellite ones; i.e. you not to aim at two satellites for full coverage, and the old receivers won't work (tried that).  It is enough fun to line up one satellite, but doing it yourself with the right angle, direction AND now a tilt angle  - no thanks.  I've done it once.  Better to take advantage of the free install offers if you can.

I took a look at Dish and their prices don't seem to be any better.  Their PVR service is 4.99, but so is DirecTV's.  I just jumped in before the "generic" PVR's and got the UltimateTV, which is still 10 bucks.  I forgot I get a whopping 3 hours of internet time with the UltimateTV, which I've never used. 

FWIW

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
And digital cable in 4 rooms with 100 pure DIGITAL channels costs what? And a little FYI, the signal compression rates of digitial cable (what few real digital channels you actually get) SUCKS!

Trust me, the cable companies are VERY afraid of Sat. Very afraid. And they should be.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…