Apr 30, 2007
This is a little bit of an intro, so bear with me please!

Having started on a Yamaha BW 80, upgrading to an XR 100, then racing that once and riding it out of suspension and power, I decided to get a 98 CR 80 Expert.

A couple years back I tried it out on a faircross track which wasn't user friendly at all, and I got discouraged and stuck solely to riding on dirt roads. However, this summer I've gotten bold, and applied for a season membership for the local series! (DMC Motorsports).

The first organized practice was last saturday, and was quite the adventure!

The night before the practice was scheduled, I went out to my parents farm to prep the bike (at least tried). Basically, I mixed up some fresh gas, and tried to adjust my shift lever to accommodate my new boots. After checking other things like oil level, chain tension, and those little other things that seem to fail at the last second.

Soon, it was 3:00am and I finally gave up fiddling for the best fit, hoped for the best, and headed inside for bed.

Both my dad and brother said that I wouldn't have the guts to try it, but I was pretty determined to at least try!

I woke up late the next morning, and then found myself without any means to get the bike to the track! Thankfully my grandpa stepped in and let me use his pickup two hours AFTER I had planned to leave.

It was then that my dad decided to come out and work on my bike. This put me 45 more minutes behind schedule, and I had to tell him to stop.

I made it to the track without too much trouble, and got my t-shirt and membership card right away without any confusion. Unloading was a very interesting experience, as my wonderful dad had somehow managed to wedge the ramps into the pickup box AND underneath the bike, with the tiedown straps woven through them somehow.

Funny how no one happens to be in sight when things like that happen. When I finally got the bike out, I had missed half of my classes' practice session. I threw on my gear as quickly as I could, and pushed my bike up to one of the officials. He pointed me and the bike in the right direction in the starting gate, and told me to start my bike and wait for his cue.

I jump on the bike, and SURPRISE!! I can't touch the ground in my boots! Luckily, the official caught me before I hit the ground, and even held my bike for me so I could start it.

He sent me out, and I was great and happy off the first jump, then saw the size of the doubles coming at me and had an "EEK!!!" moment. I decided to roll the rest of the track as best I could.

I got lapped, pointed at, and laughed at because of my jeans, but I made it around without crashing and managed to keep my line most of the time! The only problem was that I couldn't keep my head up and kept missing shifts because of my boots.

Second session of the day went much better, and I was able to control the bike a little better. My first and last attempt at a double ended up with the bike landing on me because I missed the shift, hit the face of the landing, and whiskeythrottled myself over the next ramp.

I felt fine, and the race organizers said I rode faster AFTER I crashed. Sadly I didn't get another try because time was up, and they closed things down. It didn't take too much flirting to get one of the guys to help me get the bike loaded back up.

The adrenaline wore off on my way back home (2.5 hours), and I started hurting pretty badly - my right shoulder and left knee apparantly took quite a beating. My shoulder is still a little sore, and the bruise on my knee has shrunken from baseball sized to...a little smaller than baseball sized.

All in all, it was crazy, but I'm glad that I did it.

First race is May 12th...this weekend!!

(Sorry for the lengthy ramble!!)

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
Very funny story. Your dad reminds me of the hubby's helpful dad. Yikes. But well meaning.

I hope you recovered okay from the crash.

Congrats on the race. With that kind of chutzpah and determination you are gonna do great.

I wish I lived closer... I have a trailer, and would gladly run support for you. (Also nice to hear someone else has trouble finding their feet in those boots. Argh)

Good luck on Saturday. (Which track?)

Apr 30, 2007
Thanks for the encouragement!

I tend to bounce back pretty quickly from most types of injuries, so all is going well as of this moment (pretty sure I'll be upset with myself when I hit my mid-fourties!)!

As for boots, well I got the Thor Quadrents on clearance for 30$. They are hardly worth that! Toes are too tall!

I'd definitely take you up on the offer if I had the cashflow to race in your area!!

The race is in Greenbush MN, the same track I practiced at, so hopefully there'll be no surprises waiting for me! :)

blndebmbr

Apr 9, 2007
Way to keep your head up and going for it!!!! Just keep rolling everything and you will get more confident and start flying without even trying. Good luck on Saturday!!!! You will do just fine!

Apr 30, 2007
Thanks!

I'll give a (hopefully shorter than my first) report on it when I finish...just hope I'm not the only one in my class!!

Hopefully I'll find someone to ride with soonishly, I'm pretty sure that would help me with finding good lines and better speeds...

blndebmbr

Apr 9, 2007
Dang! You are way up there!!!! :) I double checked to see if you were anywhere near us. I am in Southeastern Wisconsin.....

Just focus on staying smooth and controlled. If you are smooth and controlled you will find better lines without even realizing it. Also looking ahead. Keep your head up and see what is coming. As soon as you get into the turn, look at the exit and you will get through smoother and faster. What slows people down (myself in particular) is looking at the apex (center) of the turn. You will go where you look. So look at where you want to be. And if you feel a panic attack~like you are going too fast. Look up. It means you are not looking far enough ahead. Well, at least for me it does!!!!

Just keep riding, practicing and trying. It will come. Being smooth is fast. Get smooth and the rest will follow!!!!

Apr 30, 2007
I was pretty surprised to hear how much the techniques for road riding (Thanks MSF course!!) were used on the track too!

Never thought that it took any technique to stay on a dirtbike...

I'll definitely try your advice during hotlaps and the race!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
blndebmbr said:
Dang! You are way up there!!!! :) I double checked to see if you were anywhere near us. I am in Southeastern Wisconsin.....

J
Good thing too. I know a 19 yr old boy that would love a 19 yr old female riding companion especially if with just a little flirting can get the bike loaded up :cool:

Just keep it up and everything will come together soon for you. Watch how other riders take the doubles and if you can have a couple lead you around the track so you can match their speed (when you are ready) over the doubles. It may take a little more flirting but that is also part of the game :ride:

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
oldguy said:
Good thing too. I know a 19 yr old boy that would love a 19 yr old female riding companion especially if with just a little flirting can get the bike loaded up :cool:

:ride:

Too funny Old Guy.

A good dad would offer to drive to this side of the North Pole, haul her down to Aztalan, and have the boy show her how it is done right.

For the future of the sport of course.

blndebmbr

Apr 9, 2007
justalonewolf007 said:
I was pretty surprised to hear how much the techniques for road riding (Thanks MSF course!!) were used on the track too!

Never thought that it took any technique to stay on a dirtbike...

I'll definitely try your advice during hotlaps and the race!
FWIW~that is where the similarity ends...IMHO I think it takes more skill to ride a dirt bike than a street bike. Both are fun. But the street bike is WAY easier!!! :)

Apr 30, 2007
I'll agree with that too! Even though I said there were similarities, I have to explain myself and say that I was surprised that there were that many in the first place...

Staying on a CR 80 is WAY harder than staying on a Harley.

I got back a couple hours ago from the races, and the boyfriend thought it would be a wonderful idea to go for a harley ride.

He laughed the whole time because he could feel me squeezing the harley with my legs every time we accelerated...

But I had very very very little trouble staying on that thing...whilst the beloved CR was...well, a little more tricky.

Apr 30, 2007
I've heard that the bigger 2strokers are not quite so "sudden"...but I've never had the chance to try a bigger one (need someone to hold the bike while I start it, and catch me when I stop...). Any truth to that piece of information? Or are the guys at the dealer just trying to play with my being a female?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom