Saturday Night Thunder Series, round 6 Ascot Park

motox757

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 14, 2001
Well, once again my son and I ventured to the Arkansas state border to compete in the Thunder Series at Ascot Park. We had to leave a little early to stay in front of the storm line that was coming down from Kansas. I was looking forward to the drive down because mx547 and his daughter were going to join us. But that wasn’t to be, mx547 called me and PM’d me on the Friday before to tell me that he had to go back to the hospital due to some complication with his recent surgery. I think he is OK; I am sure he will respond to this post and let us all know. We stopped at the go-cart track on the way down and had some competition this time. This stop at the go-cart track is almost as much fun as MX racing… …almost…

The track was in awesome condition, much better than the previous round. The rain had not yet hit and the rain held off all night! The track operator had changed the whoop section to a small double/double/single section. This was much better then the 30” tall whoops (6 total) at the last round. He also put in a finish line double and built up some of the other jumps.

My 11 year old son had a great start in the first moto. He came out of the first corner in third place. He was on the gas and had a very aggressive riding posture. Well, he was so pumped that he fell on the first lap and could not get his bike started. When I heard the announcer say that #44 had fell, I was in a dead sprint to the location, in my boots! I did not see his fall and he later told me he pulled a wheelie coming out of the corner after the double/double/single section and lost control. He said that he almost got it back, but bailed at the last second. When I got to him he was breathing very hard and I asked him if I could start his bike for him. He handed me the bike, I got it started in one kick and got him on his way. He finished in 8th place in that moto, but his riding was awesome! He was getting air on all the jumps trying to catch back up and his riding posture was much different then the previous races. He was in the attack position the entire moto! His second moto was good as well. He got a fourth place start and was in fifth place for the entire last lap before being passed at the finish line jump. He had 8/6 moto finishes for a 7th OA finish. He was very tired after the second moto. He told me that he was not going to quit when he fell in the first moto, he wasn’t going to give up those points in the series. He said he wasn’t going to be a quitter. I think that statement made me the proudest that night.

I (once again) finished 5/4 in +40 for a fourth OA. I was (once again) happy with my motos. I was getting the hang of the double/double/single section toward the end. I did not have good starts, but I can always gain a few positions in the first straight-away when everybody bunches up on the inside. I held off Dion in the second moto till the 4th lap. He was talking to me on the uphill straight when he went for the pass. That is the first time I have had a fellow racer talk (yell?) to me during a race. Kind of weird…

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
looks like i missed another fun nite at the track. i thought (hoped) you guys might get rained out. it rained and stormed alot up north. i really hated for kendall to miss another round. it sounds like mason is really riding well and getting into it. you must be proud of him. how is mason doing in the points? did they have the updated standings posted? how about you? third? fourth?

motox757

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 14, 2001
You were hoping we would get rained out!? ...uuhhhhh thanks... I think... :think: ...LOL! The rain appeared to be dieing down when I checked the weather channel before we left, so I figured we would have a good chance to stay dry... ...and we did...

As far as the series points go, Mason won't break into the top 5 before the end of the series. There are two many others in his class that have been there for every round and these are the ones that also finish in front of him each race. He is happy to compete with the others and I am VERY proud to watch him get better each race...

Yes, they updated the point standings. I am now in fourth place in the point standings in 40+, right in front of you. Bill is in first, and I think Dion is in second and the guy on the VOR is in third (717). With the finishes you had at the beginning of the series, you should stay in fifth for the rest of the series...

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Sorry I missed out. I got a service call and that was that. I hope to catch the next few rounds. I might even finish ahead of Jay. ;)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by motox757
With the finishes you had at the beginning of the series, you should stay in fifth for the rest of the series...

uh oh, with the next race 3+ weeks away, i might be in good enough condition by then to ride across the finish line and take last place points. i wonder if that would be enough to keep me ahead of bswift? :p

fifth place overall gets the last spot on the awards stage...

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
a good clean 00cr250 for rent...........real cheap. lol havent taken the numbers off have ya?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Foul, I tell ya, foul! Don't riders have to pass thru a metal detector to race?

motox757

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by BSWIFT
Foul, I tell ya, foul! Don't riders have to pass thru a metal detector to race?

...and have to wear BOTH boots? :think:

I guess we could sit around and ask mx547 who is going to start his bike for him! ;)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i could ride my old yamaha enduro. it has electric start... but who would unload it for me? :eek:

i'm not going to ride. i insist that bswift finish out the series and take the final spot.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I'm going to do my best to do that, Jay. I'll share the spoils with you if there are any.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Maybe I should go and try to be a spoiler. :p Probably mathmatically impossible. ;)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
not possible, only two rounds left. i don't think you're forty yet anyway (although you look it :debil: ) but you should come out and race anyway. you would have a good time.

bswift, you probably shouldn't have said that about sharing the spoils. the last two years, i probably took home about $300 worth of goodies each time--i say that, now watch, this year the banquet turns out to be a dud.

that also means if you win the new bike, it's half mine...

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Justql, the over 40 class is AGE not waist band.;):scream:

Top Bottom