Joe Diver

N. Texas SP
Mar 21, 2005
:) That place was great! We had an awesome time.

We met up with Proxy on the way out of Ft. Worth, and it only took about 1.5 hours to get there. NIce drive really. Arriving early, we had some good choices for setting up, and we picked a spot down in a pit, so to speak, just outside the large sandy area on the creek. Great shady spot nestled in the trees. We spent the first half of the day getting lost and finding our bearings around the campground and sections behind the creek area to the Red River, where we could make sprints over the flats, but by late lunch time had a pretty good feel for that part of it. After lunch we decided to take the creek down to the river, and learned a very valuable lesson: You CAN'T make it all the way! About 100 yards before the river, it turns to deep muck and quicksand. Thanks to Proxy for helping get me out of that mess, and if it ruined your boots I'll be happy to replace them for you. After alot...alot...of cleanup and a good rest, we found our way past the RV campground area...I'm assuming this was where Grady was, but sorry we didn't see you as there were alot of people and still we were kinda lost...but we went a long way down some trails and gravel roads until we found the section of trails that runs along the river, miles of them it seemed and I can see where a GPS would be VERY handy here. These trailes were marked and numbered, I remember seeing #4, 5, and 11 most. Some pretty hairy stuff, but nothing we backed down from and made the climbs successfully. Very beautiful area with some wonderful places to stop and rest on rocky outcrops on the river. This area was MY kind of riding. I'd like to spend all of my time here on the next trip, as we had to turn back and start trying to find our way back due to fuel levels. A GPS and map would be very helpful in the future, as there were many more trails to explore that we didn't make it to.

I did notice quite a few picnic tables and camping areas along this section of the river, and it is there where I would personally like to setup camp for an overnighter, but nobody was there. There was one magnificent spot on top of a hill with gorgeous views, and it looked like vehicles had been there before, definitly camping. How do you get there with vehicles? Do you need special permission to camp there?

Does anybody have any maps of the whole place? I think after a few visits I'd get a pretty good feel for the whole place, but it'd be nice to have a map for now and in the future.

All in all it was a great day. Nobody got hurt and nothing got dented, dinged, or broke. This is a place we will return to...frequently!

:cool: :ride: :)

Proxy

N. Texas SP
Mar 14, 2005
Good write-up :cool:

My boots should be fine :)

I'd like to see some of those cool views next time. The forest was nice and the river riding was fun, but I'm sure there's a lot more to Red River than that.

I actually have a GPS, but my parents accidentally packed it with their stuff on their way back up to Kansas the last time they were down here, doh! They'll be in town this weekend though so next time I go, I won't have to worry so much about finding my way back. If I got bored one day, I could even put some sort of rudamentary map together from GPS I guess, compiled w/data from multiple trips... unless someone's already done that.

In addition to a map of some sort, it'd be nice to know what the different trail markers indicate. I really only saw red triangles and a wrong way marker (self-explanatory) in the section just west (left) of where the creek meets the river. I don't want to be caught on a trail I don't belong on or meet someone head-on. I also saw some pink ribbon, which I know you typically want to keep on your right to avoid going the wrong way, but I didn't know if the same rules applied here.

I know my wife would enjoy camping out there, but she's more the type to putt around on a 4-wheeler so she'll probably need to find a riding buddy for that before it makes sense for her to tag along.

Anyway, I definitely got some good riding in that day and I can't wait to go back :nod:

Unfortunately, my next two weekends are booked for my friend's wedding stuff (bachelor party, wedding, etc.) but I'll be looking forward to anything anyone schedules after that.

Joe Diver

N. Texas SP
Mar 21, 2005
Glad your boots are okay...mine will need a very good scrub inside and out, then a healthy rub of saddle soap. :)

You must have started down those trails when I was waiting on Jon with the strap. We went waaaayyy down that area, and could've gone farther if we'd had the time/fuel. There's some great stuff and some pretty gnarly climbs, but the views from the top are worth it.

We're going to try a camping trip in early June. Jon should have his 4 wheeler fixed by then. You got me thinking about eggs cooked in sausage grease....that wonderful camping breakfast! You and your wife up for it? :cool:

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Too bad we didn't get to meet up with you. It sounds like you will be going back so look us up next time. It is a big place for sure. It really helps to ride with someone who knows the place well and put together a full trail. There are lots of intersections and such, and it gets confusing trying to follow a certain trail. It was a little cool in the morning, but turned out to be a nice day. Just beware of the creek, it can be very harsh on the bikes with all the sand and mineral deposits in the water. I only crosss it when absolutely neccesary, and at very low speeds at that. We'll have to meet up next time--I think I live pretty close to you guys. Im on Davis blvd in NRH.Sounds like you had fun, and that is the important part!

Joe Diver

N. Texas SP
Mar 21, 2005
I'm off of Davis and Hightower...just south of Starnes! :)

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Sorry we missed you guys. A bunch of us were parked in the big meadow under the second-largest tree. The trail markers are all just leftovers from past events--the enduro and the more recent national observed trials event. The white signs with the red-outline triangles are the trials course markers. These will lead you to some super-tough areas, some of which are still marked with the numbers--1, 4, 7, etc. These were the observed sections for the national trials guys. The red and blue ribbons have been taken down, and all that's left are the course markers for the transfer sections, the red triangles. The orange signs with the black arrows are the old enduro course markers. You may find a few mile markers here and there. Most of the signs of all kinds are gone, as Mrs. Harris wants them removed after the events. She doesn't want marked trails, as riders might falsely assume they can go fast without worrying about somebody coming the other way. There is no right way or wrong way on the trails; you just have to be careful. Still, I try not to go the wrong way on the trails where the markers remain, but I'm careful. On the west side you can follow the remaining enduro arrows supplemented by green spray paint on the trees. And I have put up some tiny green ribbons, too, to mark the west side enduro loop, about 23 miles. About parking on the west side--you can't. They let only the trials riders park there, unfortunately.

Again, sorry we missed you. Let's shoot for the next time. There are lots of guys in our group who know the trails well and would be glad to show you around.

Proxy

N. Texas SP
Mar 14, 2005
Joe Diver said:
We're going to try a camping trip in early June. Jon should have his 4 wheeler fixed by then. You got me thinking about eggs cooked in sausage grease....that wonderful camping breakfast! You and your wife up for it? :cool:

Possibly. We have a family reunion to go to June 17-19, but any other time is good.

While exploring is fun, it would definitely be cool to hook up w/someone who could take us on a big loop of some sort.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Once you get the hang of it, you won't need a GPS. By the time you get a map programmed with your GPS, you'll have it all figured out and won't need it, so I wouldn't bother unless you just want to. It's definately better to go ride out there with some people who know the place the first few times so you can get the feel for it.

I may be down for some riding in early June. I doubt I could do a camping trip, but I'd definately like to hook up with some people and ride.

cwb370

Apr 2, 2002
I ride with my GPS so I can try not going down the same trail twice. When I come to an intersection I look down and see which way to go. But there is no way to map all those trails unless you retire and ride there for a month straight 7am till 8pm you might have a chance. I was there Saturday and what a perfect day. Once I get the kids faster maybe we can hook up for a big camp out.

Proxy

N. Texas SP
Mar 14, 2005
cwb370 said:
I ride with my GPS so I can try not going down the same trail twice...
Yeah, that's what I'm beginning to think... at least to know which general direction we need to go to get back to camp when we're out there.

Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
Marking trails, following GPS? Naah, just go get lost. Sooner or later you you find your way back to the parking area. Most of the time, you will pop out on a main trail and find your way. Get to reconize the main trails and have fun. It is not as big as you think unless you have to walk back.

Top Bottom