oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
As many times as I have done this I thought it would get easier. Butch came into our home 12 years ago as an abused puppy. He immediately adopted Trudy and Eric but shied away from me. I did everything I could to get him to be my pal but he feared all grown males. About to resign myself to being a shadow in his world I took him along on a training trip one day when he was just 3 months old. Eventually before we left I took him aside and teased him with apheasant wing. At that instant he realized I wasn't all that bad as his natural hunting instincts kicked in. We became inseparable from that day on.
Today we found out our best friend Butch has cancer. About 3 weeks ago he started to limp but being the solid dog he is he never seemed to complain or give up. In the last week he has rapidly deteriorated to the point he couldn't lie down or stand up by himself. Still he continues to be the most loving and dedicated dog. The cancer has already destroyed his shoulder bones and there are signs that he has it in his lungs also. Eric and Trudy had the hard part of being the recipients of this news as I couldn't get off work today to take him. The vet basically said he is starting to suffer and heroic efforts will do little to save him.
Trudy knew I and my father (who loved hunting with Butch) would want to say goodbye and after being assured that with pain killers he would be good for a week or so brought him home. Today we are travelling to a race (he loves travelling and hanging out at the race night campfires) and we are going to say our Goodbyes.
Man I wish Monday would never have to come :|
Butch 7/06/92-8/03/04

Attachments

• butch2.jpg
    butch2.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Man Dave that hurts. I hate to hear that! :(

I can say I have had the honor of seeing Butch in action in the field doing what labs love and he was a great one.

kx250easttn

Jun 9, 2002
Sorry to hear that. Most people who aren't pet owners do not know how tough it is saying good bye to what becomes another member of the family. I know how tough it is and I know what you are going through because I have been through it myself. Hang tough, and time will take care of most of the pain.

Dede

May 23, 2004
I got teary-eyed reading your post. I have two dogs of my own and dread the day that they are no longer w/ me. Dogs become such great friends. You should be proud of yourself for taking in an abused dog and making him trust in people again. That takes alot of patience. Because of you (& your family) I'm sure he lived a happy life. Take care.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I feel for you Dave. :(

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
My deapest condolences to you and the family, Dave.
My heart is heavy for you.

MXSparx

Mr. Meltsomeglass
Jul 25, 1999
NoVa
Sorry Dave, Trudy, Eric and Dave's dad.
dunno what else to say

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2004
jesus..that is terrible.. i know how it is to loose a loving pet..

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Sorry Dave but think of the good times and how you made his life better. This part maybe the hardest to do and you'd take him in all over again.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Hang in there, your family is in our thoughts.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
I'm sorry to hear that Dave, Kid, Trudy. :(

Top Bottom