SC could get new trails with your help

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Guys, this is a real possibility. Please help if you can.

Check out www.scohv.org for more info.

Thanks
Ivan Liechty

PLEASE WRITE AND HELP...

Please Write:
Congressman John Spratt
39 E. Calhoun Street
Sumter, SC 29150
We have been trying for several years now to get the proposed 50 mile OHV trail in Sandhills State forest opened. The situation at Sandhills is unusual in that the SC Forestry Commission, which manages the forest, wants to open the trail, but the US Fish and Wildlife Service has so far not been willing to consider the project. At this time the trail is laid out, GPS'd, and has the approval of the South Carolina Forestry Commission, and the South Carolina department of Parks, Recreation, and Tourism. This fall our trail proposal is scheduled to be reviewed by Fish and Wildlife.

In order to win the Approval of the US Fish and Wildlife service, we will need some political pull. We are already hiring a lobbyist to help us, but we need people to write to Congressman John Spratt, who represents the congressional district that Sandhills is in. Being a Congressman, he has the power to tell Fish and Wildlife to get off their behinds and quit stonewalling.

Please write a brief letter to John Spratt in support of this OHV trail. Alot of money stands to come through his district if the project is approved, especially if an RTP grant is involved. He just needs to know about the proposed trail, what it can do for his part of the state, and that lots of people are interested in riding at Sandhills.

I truly believe we can get this trail project going, but it will take some effort by all of us to make it happen. Please send your brief letter to the address provided.

Thanks,
Ivan Haynes
SCORE treasurer

Barbarian

Nov 22, 2001
Thanks for posting this for me Ivan L. Guys, we have been working on this project since Jimmy Parish started it in 1998. There has been allot of stonewalling focused around the Red Cockaded Woodpecker and some other stuff. We are at a point this fall where Fish and Wildlife will be forced to reconsider approving the trail project. We have some pull behind us with the South Carolina Forestry Commision but the more we can get the better. This project has a really strong chance of actually being approved, so if you could take a little time to write a letter, no matter how brief, it would really help us down hear in South Carolina.
Thanks,
Ivan Haynes (aka Barbarian)

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Thanks. The more letters the better.

This is a REAL possibility. Our treasurer has already met with the Governor and traded e-mails with key people. We know where the hold up is and all we need is some more convincing.

LETTERS WILL HELP. Even if you just write in and say "I heard about the Sandhills project, I support it and really hope that the project gets off the ground so I have a chance to ride there."

Anything will help.

Thanks
Ivan Liechty

Top Bottom