Scarred the case and cover surface. Pics. Help

DamonBoost

Jul 14, 2003
Ok when I stuck something in between the case and cover surface (like an idiot)to pry them apart (in previous post) I did some minor scarring to the surface areas. How bad do you think this is and what should be my next step? Please be easy on the flaming.. I already learned my perhaps expensive lesson.. =/
Here are some pictures I took of both areas, both on the case and the cover. :bang: :bang: :bang:

VB Racing

~SPONSOR~
Jan 26, 2004
I hate to say it, but you may be looking for new case halves. You can try to "clean up" the surface slightly, BUT, you won't be able to clean up all the damage. You have nothing to lose by cleaning up the sharp edges with a file, and using a good amount of sealer around those areas. I have a feeling it will leak , however. Sorry :(

Dave

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
File it as flat as you can ( back down to the original level ) ther are epoxies made with aluminum filler try that, you have nothing to lose- they could be welded and filed back down or just use a lot of sealant.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Loctite makes a gasket replacement product that will fill gaps up to .020" deep. I'd just dress up the surface and use the sealer & a gasket and you should be OK.

Shevalik

Apr 8, 2004
I dabble with a small amount of metal restoring through my hobby (chrome plating). I usually use lead to repair gouges in the surface of metals before I plate them. In this case I would be worried that the low melting point of lead would not hold. But there are aluminum patch products that are sold as a paste and then when exposed to the right conditions (air, or an additional hardening agent) they will harden up and form to the metal.

I would try to locate some metal patch at a local hardware store or an automotive store. Then fill in the voids and even build up the voids ever so slightly with the patch and then sand smooth. It is best to use a sanding tool rather than hand sand. It would take forever and it is much easier to create a truly flat surface with a mechanical sander. Use a metal straight edge as a guide or a speed square.

Look at it just like you would if you were patching a gouge in drywall.

It might not be that bad. :cool:

cr2504life

May 17, 2004
When I put my right side cover back on my bike after doing clutch work there was a little holder that holds the brake line was in side my case and I didn't know it. It was basicly a wire shaped like a hook. It was about 2-3mm in diameter. Well needless to say it leaked really bad when I ran it. I just used JBweld and sanded the grooves it left in both cases. It worked great and does not leak. But from looking at your pictures there seems to be alot of small scratches so maybe a lot of sealent will work. Good luck.

1966mustang

Jun 8, 2004
i would seal both sides real good with some high tack silicone and let it dry for about 15-20 minutes before you install it because when you install silicone soft like that it just squeezes away from the place you are wanting it to stay. Wait untis it is dry enough where you can stick your finger on it and it wont stick but not to dry to where it wont seal.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
220 wet or dry sandpaper laid down flat on a piece of glass, some light oil, and with the case setting flat on the sandpaper make small figure 8 motions sanding off the high spots of the gouges.
just to embelish on

"Loctite makes a gasket replacement product that will fill gaps up to .020" deep. I'd just dress up the surface and use the sealer & a gasket and you should be OK."

If there is very little wear on the thrust surfaces of the shafts you do not want to remove too much material and close up any tolerances.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…