Sep 15, 2004
ok have a question for you all!Sometimes when i take a jump.....maybe 20 ft long or even shorter, my front end either rides up real high or i nose dive.I know if you are nose diving you are suppossed to give it gas in the air, and if you are nose high you apply the rear brake. Easier said than done though. When this happens to me all i do is :yikes: and hang on. I understand the physics of it .....but its like i am retarded when it actually happens and there is not much time to remember.Any advice????This is why i havent tried a double yet....i mean a real double. I know i can clear them ...but i think its all in my head.I can clear a 20 ft. table top..but when it comes to the double i just cant seem to try it.Thanks

joey450

Jul 14, 2007
i know what you are talking about i use to have the same problem ,all i could think to do was just hang on. Then one day it just all just clicked together, i could never remember to tap the brake to bring the front end down that was my biggest problem .it took me alot of hours at the track to finally get it all figured out

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Stay steady on the throttle, don't let off or twist harder, all the way up the face. This should help keep the bike stable in flight and prevent your problem. Also, taking the jump in a higher gear may help, but isn't always possible. On a short jump, you don't really have time to correct, but at least you are going slow enough that the wreck won't hurt too bad. On bigger jumps (50-60ft) you actually have time to think about what's happening to you. I have never tried the brake tap, I just shove the front down if it feels high, but I do "panic rev" from time to time.

headshot347

Oct 14, 2006
what might be your problem is your body positioning. some jumps have different angle's on the lips. some might kick you high up in the air some might get you low and far. if your body positioning is off when you hit jumps it'll mess you up in the air. next time remember to use the search. other ppl have had this problem and i'm sure someone in that thread has the answers to your problems

Apr 30, 2007
I had the same problem. The solution isn't easy. I still struggle making doubles and larger gaps. When I screw up a jump, I really freeze too, even though I know what I'm supposed to do. The only way to get better is to spend more time in the saddle.

Practice, and practice a lot! If you can, (as everyone else will tell you) ride with someone more experienced, and follow them over the jumps. It will really help you judge speed and distances.

Edited to add that you should definitely use the search button. Many people have good (better than mine) advice that can easily be found just by doing a quick search.

cthowards

~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2006
I agree with what everybody said and have to agree that your body position and throttle control going up the face are very important. If you leave the face well balanced, then the need to make a drastic correction is less likely to happen. I have had similar problems and finally realized that I was thinking about it too much and not really committing to the jump. Just get your body position good, build steady speed up the face and fully commit. I think my problems were that I would either let off (causing the nose to drop) or sych myself up and gas it too much (cause the nose to be too high). Now, I just get it position and let it rip.

Good luck. Go Red Sox.

Sep 15, 2004
Thanks for the replies....now that i think about it i sometimes gun it going up the face to get in the power band......thats usually when the nose goes way up.And when i coast off the jump I do tend to nose dive.I will try a steady throttle next time.

Sep 15, 2004
cthowards said:
I agree with what everybody said and have to agree that your body position and throttle control going up the face are very important. If you leave the face well balanced, then the need to make a drastic correction is less likely to happen. I have had similar problems and finally realized that I was thinking about it too much and not really committing to the jump. Just get your body position good, build steady speed up the face and fully commit. I think my problems were that I would either let off (causing the nose to drop) or sych myself up and gas it too much (cause the nose to be too high). Now, I just get it position and let it rip.

Good luck. Go Red Sox.

Good advice except for that last bit about the RED SUX!!! :nener:

Top Bottom