BCKDXR

Nov 17, 2000
I have a '01 220 with approx. 900 miles on it. I was changing my oil the other day and when I looked into the oil filler hole I noticed scoring on the part that I think is the clutch basket. The marks are about 3/8 " long. Is this something I should be concerned with. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

BCKDXR

Mar 17, 2000
I seem to have the same problem, I can see wear marks on the clutch through my filler hole. What would cause this? Is it a problem? Is it my KIPS shaft? The shaft feels fine, nice and tight. Thanks.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
If the KIPS advancer shaft fails, it can score the outer surface of the clutch as the broken pin rattles around in there. This part is a known problem for KDXs and typically fails because a) The Left-Hand nut at the top of the shaft was removed/installed without supporting the shaft with vise-grips or b) The top end maintenance was left too long and the power valves are spooged up and binding (usually this will take more than one season of neglect). Obvious grooving that was not there before is a concern. If it was my bike I’d consider pulling off the right side cover for a quick inspection.

I can’t find it now, but someone posted pictures awhile back of their clutch basket that had been damaged by this. You can search for more info. There’s been a lot of discussion on this topic.

http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8046&highlight=governor

Top Bottom