Scott's Bar Mount Replacement Cones

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Scott's Bar Mount Replacement Cones extra parts/bad fitiment?

I bought a set of these from Scott's:
barmountcones.jpg

and I put them together (including an extra little piece for each side - a small cylindrical urethane piece)

Well they were way too loose. So I overtigtened them and stripped a lower clamp stud.

So my question is, are you not supposed to use the little extra piece that is NOT shown in the pic above? Maybe it is for KX's or something?

Anyone else have this problem? The reason I put those little bits in, instead of skipping them is it seemed like the bushings would be too small, sink all the way in the hole and have aluminum on aluminum contact between the washers and the tripple clamp.

Now I have to buy a new lower bar mount for my TAG 7/8" bars with Scotts stabilizer. Should I just get new stock lower mounts, or is there something better that works with my setup?
Thanks,
Phil

Last edited:

outrgus

Jan 15, 2003
I changed my stock rubber bar mounts with some bar mounts from a cr250, they are made from a stiff urethane rubber and are much better and they don't cost very much.

d rockwell

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2001
Scotts Replacement Bar Mount Cones

I bought the same cones & thought they looked too small. When I installed them, with the small spacer between, & properly torqued it all together they fit perfect & the bars feel tight. I did think at $20 they were pricey; but if they last a long time they may be worth it.....

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Turns out there was a casting burr in my tripple clamps both sides - this was interfering. Filed it off and it looks like all will be well now.

Phil

Top Bottom