Yogurt

~SPONSOR~
Dec 25, 1999
I was wondering if any of you out there have tried or used these Scott's Stainless steel oil filters for any of your thumpers? I'm considering buying one, and they are $70. Their website claims they are more durable than paper and can filter just as much. Says they can filter anything bigger than 35 microns. But I've heard some people say you should only use paper filters. Why?
link: www.scottsperformance.com/indexmain.html
-click "show me a list of your products"
-then scroll down and click "oil filters (off-road)"

Last edited:

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
In one of dirtrider's recent issues they said NOT to use those filters, that they do not catch as much as the paper filters. Other than what I read I have no experience with them. If I find which issue it was I'll post it but I know it was recent.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I know quite a few folks that have been using them for a long time and have nothing but good things to say about them. I've also followed a couple of discussions about them elsewhere and haven't come up with any solid reason not to use them.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Yep - I went to a Scotts right away in my YZF (last November). It's cake to clean - just a few shots with the air hose and it's like new. It was the best $80 I've spent on my 250F.

When you consider you can't clean and reuse the paper filters (I tried it and it frayed/fuzzed up), and you have to pay $10 a crack for new filters, and you always have to worry about having a filter on hand, and if you ride often and change your oil regularly... the $80 worry free filter that will last you the lifetime of your bike is the best choice in my opinion!

About the filtering comparisons of paper vs. stainless - there are tons of people on Thumpertalk and other people I've talked to that have been running stainless for years with no oil-related problems. Plus, there is the flipside danger that if you neglect your paper filter for a few too many rides that it can possibly get clogged and/or start restricting oil flow. If you change your oil every 2-3 rides - you'll be fine either way.

stangale

Dec 19, 2000
I have an '01 YZ250F that's had a Scott's oil filter in it the whole time.
After wearing out chains/sprockets, at least 20 sets of tires and riding hard for years, the engine compression is still perfect. (Same as new 04)
I've checked the valve clearances a few times and they never went out of spec. The engine runs so well that I've never even bothered to take the spark plug out -even just to look at.
I attribute this longevity to the Scott's filter keeping the motor perfectly clean. By the way, I'm not one of these guys who changes oil after every ride - or 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. I only change it when it starts to darken in color - which takes awhile.
You bet another Scott's is going in the '04!

Yogurt

~SPONSOR~
Dec 25, 1999
Thanks all for you helpful replies. I got just the answer I was looking for. I already got my Scotts oil filter on order! :thumb:

Top Bottom