Scotts or W.E.R. steering dampner

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
I'm finally ready to try a steering dampner, but which one. I ride primarily in the rocks and tight trails. I would like my front to be a little more forgiving when it deflects of obstacles. But which is better the Scotts or W.E.R. Thanks for your input.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
well davidg i have one of each.a scotts on my kdx,wer on klx.the scotts came w my kdx ,i adjust it for woods and fast flat conditions,i have one setting figured out for both .not nice is the cost and extras ....mounting,i have the scotts tripple clamp w larger dia pro tapers ,the weld on post is the way to go btw,i priced it all to see how much the previous owner spent.i put the wer on the klx,cost was a lot less,easy install,comes w everything,i set it per wer manual and havn't touched it since.both work great ,u'll never ride without one once u have one .knowing what i know now (having both) i never would have bought the scotts,glad it was already on the preowned bike i bought tho. :)

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
Thanks gooby, I was wondering if it was worth the extra money. Sounds like they both work about the same. By the way did you also weld on the wer?

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
You may want to look at the GPR unit as well. Cost is just over $300 with the mount and it has a lifetime warranty. It mounts like the Scott's. Click here.

Lot of folks switching to the GPR because of the annual $80 rebuild with the Scott's. The WER is a good unit at a reasonable price. I just don't want to modify my front number plate to mount it.

Good Luck

davidg

Apr 30, 2002
Can any of these dampeners be bolted on with out drilling holes in the frame? I went on wer's site and it shows it rivited to the frame. Scotts and gpr's sites don't show a good view of under the handel bars. I'm not crazy about having it welded on, but drilling holes in the frame? If I have to I will get one welded on.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
nope davidg the wer has a u shaped mount...drill 2 holes and ur in .looks like a solid ,well designed mount.i just drilled a hole in my number plate for the rod from damper to mount....not that bad

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
David,
I've seen one mount that requires drilling into the frame and it's for the CRF450. There may be others, not sure though. Most that I've seen wrap around and clamp on the steering stem, the others are weld on types.

One advantage to the WER is that you can keep your bar pad if you use one, a disadvantage for the GPR and Scott's. The Scott's and WER dampen in one direction (away from center) and the GPR in both. I'm not sure yet if this an advantage or disadvantage for any of the units.

The Scott's, as you know, is expensive and doesn't include the mount. The WER and GPR include the mounts. As stated earlier, the Scott's requires fairly frequent rebuilds at $80 a shot. The GPR has a lifetime warranty and rebuilds are included, if required. I'm not sure what the WER warranty is, maybe gooby can help there.

Hopefully some of this info will help. Not an easy decision is it? ;)

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Just an update on the GPR price. I ordered a clamp on kit for oversize bars, $319.00. I'll post a ride report soon.

Top Bottom