CR500rrocks

Mar 1, 2004
Hey Guys,
New here and this place looks likea great resource.
I have some questions regarding my Scotts steering damper on my '93 CR500 from those who are familiar with them.

1) How do you, or where is, the sweep adjustment? I have no idea where mine's set at but it seems fine. I'd just like to play around with it. I hear the sweep is adjustable from 17 to 27 degrees?

2) What makes for stiffer turning...regarding the screw-type knob? Screwed out or in? I'm currently set at 6 out. Is that fairly tight? Maybe because the 500's are famous for headshake that's a good spot?

3) What's the "S" and "H" stand for on the other dial? I have it set almost to the "H" currently as I still get headshake when I move it near the "S" although it steers easier in turns when set near the "S".

Basically I didn't get any Scott's instructions with the bike and while I basically understand what it's doing can anyone answer these questions for me?

Thanks, John :)

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
CR500rrocks said:
Hey Guys,
New here and this place looks likea great resource.
I have some questions regarding my Scotts steering damper on my '93 CR500 from those who are familiar with them.

1) How do you, or where is, the sweep adjustment? I have no idea where mine's set at but it seems fine. I'd just like to play around with it. I hear the sweep is adjustable from 17 to 27 degrees?

2) What makes for stiffer turning...regarding the screw-type knob? Screwed out or in? I'm currently set at 6 out. Is that fairly tight? Maybe because the 500's are famous for headshake that's a good spot?

3) What's the "S" and "H" stand for on the other dial? I have it set almost to the "H" currently as I still get headshake when I move it near the "S" although it steers easier in turns when set near the "S".

Basically I didn't get any Scott's instructions with the bike and while I basically understand what it's doing can anyone answer these questions for me?

Thanks, John :)
The sweep adjustment is a small flathead screw on each side. I have my big knob set about 8 clicks out for mx. Scotts has a manual I believe on thier website, I've seen it before.

CR500rrocks

Mar 1, 2004
Jeff Gilbert said:
The sweep adjustment is a small flathead screw on each side. I have my big knob set about 8 clicks out for mx. Scotts has a manual I believe on thier website, I've seen it before.

I'm not seeing any screws on the sides at all. Maybe I have an older one that just has one sweep setting?? I don't know...

Mines about 6 years old but it looks just like the new ones on their site from what I can tell. I couldn't find any kind of manual there either but I did email them with the questions,

Thanks.

jeddclampette

Feb 23, 2004
Gpr

I had heard about the multi matrixized configurations embedded into the Scott's damper.

That's why I went with the GPR damper- six simple settings clearly marked on the huge knob. Bolt it on and go ride.

Top Bottom