snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Hey,
I don't have one, but have read lots of opinions on the thing. I've never heard one complaint on the damper. Everybody swears they don't know how they ever rode without one. Especially those that ride in rough, rocky terrain. Price is my biggest issue with the damper, and I've not even heard anyone complain about that after they bought it.

Do a search in these forums for the damper, you will see a bunch of posts and opinions. Good luck.

enduro400

Oct 19, 2001
Your right about the price thing!! I've already got one coming but I still have to purchace a triple clamp and handle bars . I figured while I'm spending the money I might as well go for the Pro Tapers as well!!!!
Thanks for you reply SnaggleXR4.

enduro400

Oct 19, 2001
I noticed you live in NW Florida do you ride any enduros in that area? I rode the Masterlinks Enduro a few weeks back--Didn't finish though!

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
I got one last Xmas (gotta a great wife!). My most notable experience is with higher speed desert/fire road riding, especially in the sand. The unit seems to make my XR4 handle like a bike with "longer" rake.

Despite the difficulty of really knowing the conseqence of untaken action (did that thing really save my butt on that last rock hit?), the damper does seem to make high speed "side hits" less dangerous, helping to keep the front wheel straight.

On low speed damping, I haven't really noticed the benefit, probably due to my reluctance to make adjustments when riding. I don't like the heavy steering feel when the unit is adjusted below 6 clicks and I prefer to set it and forget it. It's just not practical for me to change adjustments when trail conditions change so frequently like they do in my riding area.

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Hey enduro400,

I'm running one on my 400 and I think it's saved my hide a few times, especially when I get tired and ride sloppy. Won't have a bike without one.

I find it helps most in rocky areas and in sand. (Wish I had it when I rode Baja!!!!)

Do a search and you'll find lots of infor

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Enduro400,
Sorry to say it but no, I've never ran an enduro, or any race for that matter. I did take my bike to Desoto NF in Miss. on the Bethel trails one time, where they run enduros sometimes.

Where do your ride locally? New Orleans is only about 3 hrs away from Pensacola. Any places between you and I? Where is the Masterlinks held?
What is your terrain, swampy, flat, sandy?

enduro400

Oct 19, 2001
There is several places from what i understand between you and i -- Bethel is where the masterlinks enduro is held! It was some pretty tight stuff.
Although the normal trails are not as bad. There is also a place by the name of rattle snake bay It also is in the desoto forest - there is a place in south alabama but i'm not sure of the name right off hand.
We normally ride in a place called Forest Hill , it's in alexandria La.(2 hours to the west of me ) it's mostly pretty good riding - there are 4 trails of 29/30 miles each - you can make a weekend of it for sure!

enduro400

Oct 19, 2001
Hi, rodzilla what type of bars are you running on your 400 ? I'm considering the Pro Taper bars in the enduro hi bend. Going to have to change the tripple clamp though -- Have to save some more money!!!!!!

snaggleXR4

Aug 5, 2001
Enduro 400,
No kidding. I knew they had enduros there but didn't know the name. I kept a good pace all the way through both loops back to back, only taking a small break in between loops. I had a blast, alot of roots (which I'm used to) but very fun. I would love to hear about the place in S. Alabama. If you could dig anything up, I would be very appreciative. Thanks in advance.

E-mail me if you prefer snaggletto@home.com

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Enduro400

I'm running the whole Protaper set up. I run the CR High bend bar which is the same as the enduro high bend (I think) only an inch or so wider. I cut about 3/4 inch off of either side anyway.

The reason I went CR instead of Enduro was strictly cosmetic, I wanted the silver bars and the Enduro high bend only came in Gold.

If you are interested I may have a line on a guy selling the tripple clamp/protaper set up from his XR so it may save you a bit send me an e-mail and let me know.

I'm 5'10 and 180lbs. I really like the high bend bars, my back doesn't hurt nearly as much!

Rod

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Enduro400

Also if you are doing the weld on pin, make sure you put your big tank on (if you use one) I mocked mine up with the stock tank and welded it, I didn't think about my big desert tank I do get a little rubbing when I put the 4 gallon on.

Rod

Top Bottom