Scotts Steering Damper

JCW

Subscriber
I know I'm a little slow on this one, but I never saw the need for a steering damper until I rode in a lot of big and loose rocks on a ride in Kentucky last month. The rocks had my front end doing the "curly shuffle" all over the trail. As a result, I was forced to ride in 1st & 2nd gear most of the ride. Everyone else in my group had steering dampers and they were riding in 3rd, 4th, & 5th gears. They assured me the difference was the damper.

I finally spent the money and got a Scotts damper. I rode in the Ozark 200 ride last weekend with heavier rocks and after getting the damper dialed in, I was riding in 4th, 5th, and 6th gear through big rocks, as if they weren't there.

The moral of this story. Spend the bucks on a Scotts damper. Your riding will improve and you will be able to relax and ride a lot longer. Remember, when dust and rocks are involved, it's better to give than receive.

JCW

Jim Crenca

Lifetime Sponsor
What made you choose Scotts over WER?
I too have realized how hard it is fighting rocks on tight trails.

I just installed a Scotts damper on my 220 about a month ago and have 3 or 4 rides with it. My buddy swore they were essential and had one on each of his bikes, but I just couldn't see spending that kind of money. So he gave me one of his........what are friends for, eh? Anyway, it DOES make a difference, not only in rocks, but also in whoops, where the bike tracks straighter. I also believe it helps in sweeping turns. The bike seems to 'carve' the turn. I still don't know if I would pay $500 for one, though. Since I don't race, I would just get used to going a little slower.

By the way, I still had to buy the mounting kit, which cost $139, and I learned after the fact that Scott's only makes a mounting kit for a KDX with the handlbars in the rear position. When you order it online, it looks like you have a choice of forward mount or rear, but only the rear will arrive. However, when I went to install it, it didn't really fit in either position without bending the tower bracket, so I bent it so that I could use the forward handlebar mount. It is not quite the way Scotts wants you to do it, but it seems to work OK and does not bind.

canyncarvr

Subscriber
If you've already sprung for a scott's, why not spring for making a fender mount?

Scotts makes one for the CR. Not for the KDX (last I asked 'em). Wouldn't be that much of a problem to make one.

That way you'd resolve all the handlebar issues (front/rear, bushing tweak, crossbar fit etc).

Yeah....so you can't reach the controls so easily. I adjust my WER on the fly, so don't imagine the scotts would be that much different.

I'll let y'all know how easy it was when I get a scotts strapped to my fender. Well...don't go holding your breath or anything. ;)

Jim Crenca

Lifetime Sponsor
I'm not crazy about the looks of the WER unit hanging out above the front fender, but, if it works that well I guess I gotta have one too.

JCW

Subscriber
I went with the Scotts over the WER because of numerous complaints about WERs going bad after a year or so and the factory not being able to repair them. Most of the guys I ride with have Scotts and they really like adjusting it on the fly (and having used mine I agree).

Also, I am not aware of anyone who has had problems with a Scotts. I hear the GPRs are good, and I was considering trying one of those until I contacted them. They seemed to be insulted by questions and acted like I would be lucky to get one and they really didn't care if I bought one or not. In my opinion, customer service is not high on their priority list. They were too cool to be cool and I was a little nurd who was bothering them.

I called Scotts and the people there were super nice and helpful and really appreciated my business. They were ready to answer as many questions as I wanted to ask. All of that being said, I decided to get the Scotts. I'm sure any damper is better than no damper. You can relax and keep the bike on a shoe string line in loose gravel/rocks and never feel like it is about to get away from you. I rode 110 miles of loose gravel and big loose rocks last Saturday at speeds I never dreamed of and I felt like I could ride 110 more when I got in.

It is without a doubt the best money anyone can spend after buying a bike and proper riding gear. That little gadget delivers a much higher level of safety, faster speeds, and let's you relax and smile during your ride.

Hey, I was reluctant to spend the bucks too. Now, I won't ride without one.

JCW

canyncarvr

Subscriber
I put 15W oil in it. That helped a whole lot, which is to say....it actually started DOing something. I'm thinking of putting in a 'kit' to see how that goes. Most of the time, the thing is cranked all the way 'down'. I'd prefer some margin. If a kit doesn't 'fix' it, or make it considerably better...then it will be time for a change.

BTW, what did you end up with exactly JCW? New bars with the bowed crossbar? Just took your crossbar off (if you have one)? A complete top clamp setup with the whole she-bang ready to go? Bolt on stanchion or welded tab?

The complete set-up is well over $500, I think. Ouch! That hurts.

JCW

Subscriber
CC, Ouch is right. I switched triple clamps and got the Pro Taper Far Bar, the computer mount, and bar buster adapters for fat bars. I went with the bolt on frame mount and everything fit perfectly with no problems. It was expensive, but it is the best money I have ever spent on riding. They asked me several questions and took the time to customize exactly what I wanted. They will be glad to take the time to discuss bar clearance and/or any questions you have.

I'm sure it would be fine with most regular bars, but my crossbar did not have the necessary clearance. I was running Hebo bars and the cross bar was lower than my old Renthals. I would have had to buy new bars anyway.

JCW

jc

I have a Scotts on my kdx w/ pro tapers. Works great! Only had one problem early on and the people at Scotts fixed it right up- a metal flake in the oil. Oh yeah, did I mention it is 7 years old?! (on a 96 kdx.)