JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
I know I'm a little slow on this one, but I never saw the need for a steering damper until I rode in a lot of big and loose rocks on a ride in Kentucky last month. The rocks had my front end doing the "curly shuffle" all over the trail. As a result, I was forced to ride in 1st & 2nd gear most of the ride. Everyone else in my group had steering dampers and they were riding in 3rd, 4th, & 5th gears. They assured me the difference was the damper.

I finally spent the money and got a Scotts damper. I rode in the Ozark 200 ride last weekend with heavier rocks and after getting the damper dialed in, I was riding in 4th, 5th, and 6th gear through big rocks, as if they weren't there.

The moral of this story. Spend the bucks on a Scotts damper. Your riding will improve and you will be able to relax and ride a lot longer. Remember, when dust and rocks are involved, it's better to give than receive.

JCW

McRider

Jan 25, 2000
I just installed a Scotts damper on my 220 about a month ago and have 3 or 4 rides with it. My buddy swore they were essential and had one on each of his bikes, but I just couldn't see spending that kind of money. So he gave me one of his........what are friends for, eh? Anyway, it DOES make a difference, not only in rocks, but also in whoops, where the bike tracks straighter. I also believe it helps in sweeping turns. The bike seems to 'carve' the turn. I still don't know if I would pay $500 for one, though. Since I don't race, I would just get used to going a little slower.

By the way, I still had to buy the mounting kit, which cost $139, and I learned after the fact that Scott's only makes a mounting kit for a KDX with the handlbars in the rear position. When you order it online, it looks like you have a choice of forward mount or rear, but only the rear will arrive. However, when I went to install it, it didn't really fit in either position without bending the tower bracket, so I bent it so that I could use the forward handlebar mount. It is not quite the way Scotts wants you to do it, but it seems to work OK and does not bind.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
If you've already sprung for a scott's, why not spring for making a fender mount?

Scotts makes one for the CR. Not for the KDX (last I asked 'em). Wouldn't be that much of a problem to make one.

That way you'd resolve all the handlebar issues (front/rear, bushing tweak, crossbar fit etc).

Yeah....so you can't reach the controls so easily. I adjust my WER on the fly, so don't imagine the scotts would be that much different.

I'll let y'all know how easy it was when I get a scotts strapped to my fender. Well...don't go holding your breath or anything. ;)

Jim Crenca

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 18, 2001
I'm not crazy about the looks of the WER unit hanging out above the front fender, but, if it works that well I guess I gotta have one too.

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
I went with the Scotts over the WER because of numerous complaints about WERs going bad after a year or so and the factory not being able to repair them. Most of the guys I ride with have Scotts and they really like adjusting it on the fly (and having used mine I agree).

Also, I am not aware of anyone who has had problems with a Scotts. I hear the GPRs are good, and I was considering trying one of those until I contacted them. They seemed to be insulted by questions and acted like I would be lucky to get one and they really didn't care if I bought one or not. In my opinion, customer service is not high on their priority list. They were too cool to be cool and I was a little nurd who was bothering them.

I called Scotts and the people there were super nice and helpful and really appreciated my business. They were ready to answer as many questions as I wanted to ask. All of that being said, I decided to get the Scotts. I'm sure any damper is better than no damper. You can relax and keep the bike on a shoe string line in loose gravel/rocks and never feel like it is about to get away from you. I rode 110 miles of loose gravel and big loose rocks last Saturday at speeds I never dreamed of and I felt like I could ride 110 more when I got in.

It is without a doubt the best money anyone can spend after buying a bike and proper riding gear. That little gadget delivers a much higher level of safety, faster speeds, and let's you relax and smile during your ride.

Hey, I was reluctant to spend the bucks too. Now, I won't ride without one.

JCW

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I put 15W oil in it. That helped a whole lot, which is to say....it actually started DOing something. I'm thinking of putting in a 'kit' to see how that goes. Most of the time, the thing is cranked all the way 'down'. I'd prefer some margin. If a kit doesn't 'fix' it, or make it considerably better...then it will be time for a change.

BTW, what did you end up with exactly JCW? New bars with the bowed crossbar? Just took your crossbar off (if you have one)? A complete top clamp setup with the whole she-bang ready to go? Bolt on stanchion or welded tab?

The complete set-up is well over $500, I think. Ouch! That hurts.

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
CC, Ouch is right. I switched triple clamps and got the Pro Taper Far Bar, the computer mount, and bar buster adapters for fat bars. I went with the bolt on frame mount and everything fit perfectly with no problems. It was expensive, but it is the best money I have ever spent on riding. They asked me several questions and took the time to customize exactly what I wanted. They will be glad to take the time to discuss bar clearance and/or any questions you have.

I'm sure it would be fine with most regular bars, but my crossbar did not have the necessary clearance. I was running Hebo bars and the cross bar was lower than my old Renthals. I would have had to buy new bars anyway.

JCW

jc

Sep 22, 2001
I have a Scotts on my kdx w/ pro tapers. Works great! Only had one problem early on and the people at Scotts fixed it right up- a metal flake in the oil. Oh yeah, did I mention it is 7 years old?! (on a 96 kdx.)

Top Bottom