KTMBell

May 14, 2001
OK...getting ready to take the $$$ plunge and invest in a steering stabilzer.
So...which one...which is a loaded question...I know!

I'ver heard the high speed dampening adjuster...and having high/low adjusters is a plus with Scotts versus the GPR single adjuster.
Also read explinations from GPR on high speed adjuster...that it's always active...ready to respond when needed?

I ride with several guys that have Scotts...they love them, and have commented that the GPR has less "fine tuning' and seems much "stiffer" and offers less control. Also, i've heard the GPR is more suited for fast riders...which I would like to consider myself as being...but should be honest at this point...I'm average (which is better then being slow).

I'm sold on the "under the bar mounts" (Scotts and GPR 2.0), whichever unit I choose, despite the fact that it raises the bars from 1' to 2'...depending on the brand and who you ask.

I'm installing this on an 2004 KTM 300 MXC-stock triple clamps (cause I won't have any $$$ to remedy the 18mm offset fix that after market triple clamps offer over the stock). I feel the bars could come up slightly anyway...the bar height and feel seem lower than my 2001 KTM 200 MXC (which my oldest son has adopted).

from what I'ver heard (no matter what unit you buy) once you have one...you'll never want to ride without one!

I ride woods and still enjoy my share of motocross at our local track.

Any advise, opinions (especially those that have used both units) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

KTMBell

hoosierf

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 6, 2001
I have a GPR on my 200 and I'm not really convinced they are worth the money. The only time I notice it is on high speed logging roads or really deep sand tracks.

Dave.Smith

Dec 15, 2002
The adjustable high speed circuit in the Scotts is a big selling point for me. In colder weather, when the oil in the damper thickens, I back the high speed adjustment down so it won't kick in too soon. I don't use the low speed on my current ride ('03 GG 300).

pumpkinhead69

Nov 1, 2004
i have a ktm 525mxc with the scotts stablizer and i love it. the instructions from scotts were right on all my friends have scotts stabilizers and they are happy with them. the gpr is cheaper and their selling point is they are at all the races setting up and rebulding their stabilizers and scotts is not.
i talked to scotts about rebuilding the stabilizer and they recommend every 6,000 miles ( that' alot of miles) and scotts does rebuild their stablizers for about 60.00 worst case. that was a selling point for me with the scotts stabilzer because i ride a lot of desert and i;am not going to worry about rebuilding my stabilizer for a couple of years.

good luck
pumpkinhead69

HBRider

Jan 29, 2005
I run the GPR on my 99'250MXC and have had zero problems with it. I went with the normal over the bars mount, I think its V1.0 but I run 7/8" Renthal highs so I didn't need to bend the crossbar. It works like a champ in all terrains on the 3 or 4 position except when trying to climb hills, I drop her down to 1.
Plus It only cost me $250 so compared to the $399 price tag of the Scotts it was an easy decision.

So far I only have only got 10 desert rides on it, so hopefully time wont tell. After just reading about the longevity of the GPR's in the posts above this I am kinda wondering....

KTMBell

May 14, 2001
thanks for the info...it's a difficult decision...cost is the big thing. My guess is they're both good, just function slightly different. I seem to have more pro's on the Scotts than the GPR (from the posts and what my fellow riders tell me) Cost difference (from what I can find on the web) is only $50 from the Scotts to the GPR.

Thanks again

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
I've owned 2 Scotts and 3 GPR's, I'll be going back w/ Scotts now that they have an under bar version. The Scotts is much better w/ regards to bar drag (it has less) and adjustability

KTMBell

May 14, 2001
CR Swade...did you feel the GPR took the hard high-speed hits well. I must admit, I like the hardware of the GPR 2.0...and I've heard the Scotts under the bar unit raises the bar height much more than the GPR.
Did you feel the GPR did the job, took out the head shake and handled those nasty trail logs and rock edges?

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
the GPR is sweet as far as the hardware goes, but it is so dang stiff on the initial sweep...all three of them have been that way. Once you get riding, it goes away, but you can still feel it compared w/ a Scotts or non-damper bike. It handles the high speed and low speed jerks fine. As far as headshake, get your bike to handle w/out headshake first...the stabilizer isn't for curing headshake. It is for keeping the front end planted on high speed runs and low speed trail junk (which allows the fork to take the blow instead of deflecting).

As far as the bar height w/ the Scotts, I had heard that too, that is why I'm still running a GPR on my KTM. It raised my bars about 3/4", which actually felt pretty good. On my CR it was gonna raise it almost 1 3/4", so I stuck w/ the 1.0.

I jusut wish the GPR had more adjustability.

KTMBell

May 14, 2001
yea...I know...I need to correct the offset. I was looking at the Applied triple clamp that would take it from stock (22mm?...I think) to an 18mm offset. Can't say I completely understand this whole "rake" thing...but know that it corrected the headshake on the SX bikes I've ridin. Why doesn't KTM go to an 18mm stock offset. Seems every year the magazines complain about that very same thing. I heard the 05 SX bikes have an option of reversing the triple clamp? My problem...too many toys, not enough $$$$.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
The offset debate on KTM's has more to do w/ the amount trail w/ regards to turning manners. If you are getting headshake or a hunt and peck front end, make sure your sag is set correctly, don't get too heavy w/ rebound and make sure you have the correct spring rate. KTM's are very sensitive to rear suspension setup, much like the CR's...only worse.

As far as the 05's, the SX's are getting eccentric inserts that allow you to change the offset.

Lastly, I tried changing the GPR fluid down to a 2.5W Redline Oil...turns out this is what GPR is doing on the newest GPR's coming out. The 2.5W oil worked great and still has the high speed action damping I want.

Top Bottom