Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I need a little advice. SDG mini 110...I think the year is 2004.

The bike has sat for a few years. I cleaned the carb thoroughly with dish soap, water and a tooth brush. It's clean.
I cleaned all jets, float, etc....what a job :)
I have a heck of a time getting it started, once it does start, it won't idle, and it backfires quite a bit.
I have no manual, so I don't know wher the stock settings are.
There is a screw on the right side of the carb, I assume it is the fuel screw. It was out a good 4 turns...
I don't know how to adjust the idle on this either.
By the seat of my pants it feels like it is starving for fuel...

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wolf

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
there are two screws on the side of the carb, the one that is at center is the one to ajust idle speed. the other one, could be located rear or front the idle screw or even down side of the carb. i believe that bike has it on the rear side. that is the fuel mixture screw and controls the amount of gas going in the cilynder at idle.
it shoud be open 1\2 to 2-1\2 turns out from full turn in. more closed means more gas.
turn it all the way in and then unscrew it 1-1\2 out and work slowly from there until you have no bog or back fire...

dish soap and water doesnt seem to very good to clean carbs... straight gas work just fine :cool:
did you use compressed air to clean all the jets and internal passages?

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
The carb is a Mikuni. Will work on it today. I did find the fuel screw, and it seems to have been fully closed...working on it now.

FWIW...soap and water after a good soak and after liberal use of carb cleaner, works quite well...

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Man didn't the loser that sold it to ya' make sure it ran right? ;)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
There is, I might have one, I'll send it if I do.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I got ir running...not great yet, but I got it running....Once I found the pilot jet to be the bad mofo that caused me all this trouble, I started to make progress.
The idle screw was way far out (4+), and the fuel screw was all the way in, fully seated. I am now at about 1.5 out on the fuel screw, probably need to come out a little more to correct the low end bog.
I did manage to screw up the throttle cable in the process (trying to take short cuts)...so before long I've got to find one of those too.

I'm happy though...its running and when junior comes home after school, he can at least ride it a little bit. He was mad at me last night...

I am amazed at the amount of heat this thing puts out. The pipe gets really hot, and cooks skin quite well...I have a medium rare knuckle to prove it ;)

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
A quick piece of market intelligence...I contacted SDG to get some stock seetings, turns out Chapparral bought all of the SDG bikes and parts.
They have since sold out of all the bikes, but they do stock parts.
Both SDG and Chapparral got back to me within 30 minutes of my original e-mail with the stock settings:

Main Jet – 100
Pilot Jet – 15
Air Screw – 1.5 turns out
Idle – 2 turns out

Idle and air screw may vary a half a turn or so depending on the temperature and altitude.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Nah, the gas is fresh.
I'm really close, it's ridable right now. I went to the stock settings and after it warms up, it runs ok.
I am still amazed at how hot this thing gets though. I'll need to figure out some kind of heat shield for the pipe, or I'll have some burn marks on the kids...:)

kawraper

Mar 4, 2009
I had a little orion last summer and blew out the back shock on it. When I went to lift the bike off the wheel I grabbed the exhaust! OUCH!!!! Ya careful thoes 4 stroke exhausts get extremely hot.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Come on now Wolf it doesn't get THAT hot....... compared to the surface of the Sun! :laugh:

Might try a local sheet metal shop. I bet they could come up with something that has some louvers and folded edges and a couple of stand-offs then you could just hose clamp it. Or you could always go get some header wrap at the local speed shop.

Top Bottom