Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
Just thought I'd post my experience with the sealsavers (short) On my 99SX250 with the right side up forks.
In dusty dry conditions I had no problems, as a matter of fact the fork wipers looked clean everytime I pulled the sealsavers off.
Then I rode a Hare Scramble with a few minor mud holes and creek crossings. The wet mud worked its way into the sealsavers and stayed there. It tore up my seals within one hour. When I pulled the seal savers off mud was packed in there all the way around the fork, thick and solid. Result: blown forkseals. No big deal, but an inconvenience! :uh:
No, I will not put them back on, I think they failed. This might be different with the full length ones or with USD forks.

B

biglou

Wolf-I've been running mine on the USD forks on both bikes essentially since they were new. Got about a year on the kTm and 3 months on the YZF. Knock on wood, no blown seals yet. I don't think, however, that I've punished either bike as severely as you have described. (Lou no like mud very much!)

B

biglou

LOL! Oldguy was on point the first day there. He would get stuck in the mud holes, and then point out the correct line when I came up behind him! True story!

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I had short Sealsavers on my DRZ the entire time I had it (about 8 months). And I definately rode in plenty of mud (and never cleaned under them). Never had a problem. I've been running those same Sealsavers on my 426 for 5 months now with no problems. Sorry you had problems with them. So far I love mine.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
For conventional forks, I would use the rubber, accordian booties like the kdx uses. For inverted forks, the seal savers work extremely well.

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
Which is best to use on upside down forks, the full or short length. I'm definately ordering some. 2 weeks is too often to have to replace fork seals.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I was instructed to use the short ones on my inverted forks due to the potential of the full-length ones bunching up and getting caught in the brake rotor, etc. I purchased the full length ones, and cut them in half. One set for the bike, the second set for spares.

Top Bottom