podfish

May 14, 2007
I'm reassembling the top end on an '87 air-cooled KDX 200. The gasket kit that I purchased has a flat copper head gasket; along with it came instructions to use Gasgacinch or some other comparable sealer when installing it!
I've never heard of using gasket sealer on a head-gasket before. A long time ago, I -did- hear that you could apply a propane torch flame to the copper gasket before installing it (heating, then cooling, before installation). I can't remember what the point of that was, though - and I don't typically do that either.

Does using sealant on the edges of the combustion chamber make sense to you??

thanks,
Peter

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I only heat and quench (drop in cool water) a copper head gasket if I'm reusing it. It anneals it soft again.
I have never used any sealer on a copper head gasket, but I've never rebuilt a KDX engine, so I'm probably not the proper person to be typing here. So I'll stop.

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
Depends on how good your gasket surfaces are, an annealed copper gasket (new will be annealed) isn't going to seal on a rough surface without help. You can use Permatex or loctite #3, GM head stud sealer and I think 3 bond will work even though its not rated for it, you won't need much.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
If it is not the stock gasket, and the gasket manufacturer says to use it, then I would think it is a good idea. No heat on it since it is new and you aren't trying to re-use it.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom