strublized

Oct 16, 2002
I have a 2002 CR 250 and am tired of having to have the seals fixed for leaking frequently. When the bike was in stock trim, I had no problems for a year and a half of riding. It was after having my suspension re-valved, that I began to have problems. It was bad enough that I had to have the company redo the suspension three time to get it right for me, but the seals keep leaking. Especially the fork seals. Does some one have some insight into why fork seals leak after a short amount of time after a rebuild. Or are there better seals available and my guy is using the cheap ones. Can I fix the problem myself, as I am getting gun shy about sending my suspension to anyone. Thanks in advance.

Matt

terry hay

Nov 8, 2003
Matt
The only seals you should use in your CR250 are genuine Honda seals. Honda have registered the design of these seals which means they are not available to the aftermarket companies. If your tuner has installed after market seals they generally fail within two weeks. Most people hate paying for the genuine seals because they are sold with the dust seal which doubles your outlay. The bushes can be easily damaged when splitting the tubes for seal removal. The teflon coating becomes frayed. If re-installed in this condition the frayed peices of teflon can come loose and lodge in the seal, creating a further leak. Bite the bullet and replace your bushes this time with the seals. Read another thread "Don't damage your bushings" This may help the guy doing the work.
Terry

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Terry, I asked my local shop "how much for fork seals" They quoted me 100.00 plus parts. I asked about bushings..the reply was, no, we seldom replace those.

The leaks dont surprise me.

I ended up buyign the tools and parts to do my own. So far, so good.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Originally posted by terry hay
Most people hate paying for the genuine seals because they are sold with the dust seal which doubles your outlay.

OK terry, i want an answer this time ;) do you pack grease under the dust seals?????some do some dont???

anyway, i always think its a good idea to do both seals at once- i run the CR stuff on my Rm showas!!!

finally, might i add, buy a proper seal driver- its the only way to do the job properly and get them suckers in straight.

cheers mate! :thumb:

terry hay

Nov 8, 2003
Okay Bruce
I have never tried packing grease between the seals. I understand the theory and I'm not sure I agree entirely. I like the idea of constant lubrication of the seals and also for the fact that the grease traps any wayward dirt. But I'm not sure the dirt can't still get in there. As the fork moves up and down surely the grease is rolled back and forth allowing the dirt to make its way to the seal. I would prefer to use a strip of foam that has been moistened with oil to trap the dirt and hold it in situ. This also lubricates the seal and is much easier to clean afterwards. Try it.
Terry

rairden

Jun 3, 2003
I've had my seals replaced once. I bought the parts (aftermarket, ungenuine pieces of ****) and took my forks to Pro-action and they started leaking right off the bat while riding. I don't think I've ever seen my fork tubes "perfect". They weren't leaking, but leaving rings. I've always had rings. Shouldn't there be "nothing" on the tube.

terry hay

Nov 8, 2003
Rairden
Do you know if you have genuine seals in the bike now? If they have packed the space in between the seals with grease as bruce mentioned you would have this ring. The after market seals of ill repute are manufactured by a company called ARUSU. The brand is usually stamped into the edge of the seal itself. I hereby declare that the quality control officer for Arusu be the next in line for the DRN Testicle Clamp.
Regards
Terry Hay

rairden

Jun 3, 2003
terry, I was just being sarcastic when I said I bought aftermarket, ungenuine pieces of crap seals. So I DID buy aftermarket ones. I don't even know who made them. They weren't "genuine" seals though. And no I don't have grease inbetween the fork and dust seal.

Next time I guess I'll buy the stock seals.

rideright

Sep 26, 2002
Terry and bruce,

What do you think about the NOK seals sold by Shidy Products??

NOK is the OEM supplier as we all know for the Honda & RM, Showas and KYB's for YZ and KX and many more.......

Next, Terry - have you ever tried using "wicking' material used by hydraulic cylinder manufactures for dirty environment use under the dust seals verses the foam?

terry hay

Nov 8, 2003
Rideright
Firstly with the NOK seals; If Shindy supply seals it wouldn't surprise me that the bulk of them are NOK. I would be surprised however if the Honda late model seals (47mm)were NOK. If they are, then there should be no problem.
If however, they are maked Arusu, I would keep them as far away from the bike as possible. Regarding the wicking. I wasn't aware such a product was available. Do you think it would work better than the foam? If so Why?
Regards
Terry

rideright

Sep 26, 2002
Terry,

they are NOK.

i personally do not use foam or wicking behind the dust seals, I mearly suggested if you like to do that and you have a rider you know will mantain and keep up the cleaning of the underside of the dust seal the wicking may be a good idea.

Hy. cylinder manufactures have many years of testing cylinders in dirty shop / plant floor environments and many make claim to just what you talked about - the wicking helps to lube the shaft with an oil film and gather or trap any small particals that may have gotten past the dust seal. I feel their claims are true, but have learned when this is done on a bike, the wicking or foam for that matter must be serviced each ride for best results.

Top Bottom