Seat height lowered for girlfriend

tripdog7

Oct 3, 2002
Is it easy or even possible to lower the seat height on a KDX200? My girlfriend loves to ride, but her RT180 is a bit slow for her liking. I see some used KDX's in the paper, and thought she might enjoy a real ride. Problem is, the seat height is too high for her 5'3" legs. Has anyone heard of having the suspension modified to lower the height? (if so how much and where?) Does this adversly affect handling? Would a KDX be too much power for a lady? Any advice is apprecitated.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
See if you can't get Michelle's or Lori's attention on the Woman's forum. Both own lowered KDXs and should be able to steer you in the right direction.

David

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Is it easy? Yes.

.......and even possible! ;)

Easiest way to lower the backend is to change pull rods. Devol makes a set. They'll only drop it about 3/8". Koubalinks make several styles depending what you wanna do. They drop as much as 2.25" depending on link.

http://www.koubalink.com/kdxspring.html

Internal workings of the shock can also be changed to lower the bike. That's not nearly as cheap or easily undone as changing the pull rods.

Keep in mind that comfortably touching the ground isn't likely a good thing. A rider should have feet on the pegs most all the time. If the ground is easily reachable..and a new rider KNOWS that, it will likely lead to 'improper touching'!! ...and we can't have THAT! ;)

...besides the poor techniqe that would become engrained there's the busted legs and smushed foots that may result.

There's a balance 'tween the two. Surely falling over everytime you come to a stop, or not being able to kickstart the thing isn't good. But neither is having the bike low enough to make it feel 'safe' for a new rider.

re: too much power?

Nope. It can be jetted/modified from mild to wild.

Oh, 'does it adversely effect the handling'?

It can. You have to balance the front to back. The koubalink site 'splains that purty good.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Tripdog, both LoriKTM & myself are 5'3". Lori had her KDX lowered professionally, I didn't.
Too much power? Nah. TM250 has too much power. How much of a lady is she? The beauty of the KDX is the fact that if you leave it stock, it's constipated & is very friendly. Start modding it out & it becomes fun. I came off a YZ80 & that thing was evil and loved the power of the KDX (still do after 2 years).
I had someone who rides a DT200 (I think) take the KDX for a spin & she loved it - she's probably about 5'1", so could do with having it lowered a bit more.
It took me ages to adjust to the height, but I quickly couldn't go back to the 80 (we sold it about 6 months after buying the KDX, just to make sure - it was ridden 2x in that time).
Hope that helps some (Cayncarvr covered the lowering well), I just thought I'd give you some input from a female (not a lady, sorry). ;)
Michelle

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
And my standard bark, cut the seat foam & get some built up boots, no not those skanky fashionable clodhoppers 16yr olds wear, but get an extra sole put on to her dirt boots by a cobbler. Both mods are cheap, effective & reversible

tripdog7

Oct 3, 2002
Thanks for the input! We are going to look at one tonight.... 2002 and street legal too. Of course, I'll have to ride it some to make sure it everything checks out. Well, maybe I'll have to ride it alot to make sure it's okay. Well, maybe I'll have to get two... one stock and one modified.

Thanks again and see you all on the trails of Northern Michigan.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom