CarpetMan

Sep 1, 2003
This may have been mentioned here before but I thought I would share this.
I have a 1991 KDX with the blue seat and wanted a black one so I bought a product called Mar-Hyde vinyl paint. I cleaned the seat with acetone (lightly) and then sprayed on about three coats of of the paint. It dried within 15 minutes and after two rides looks just as good as when I put it on. They say on the can that the paint becomes part of the vinyl and will not rub off fade or flake.
The seat looks brand new! If it holds up over the long haul it would be a real cheap way to fix an ugly seat!
Hope this helps someone!
Here's a picture http://www.pbase.com/image/27687707.jpg
Those are also homemade graphics I patterned after the Ceet Apex series decals. I changed some colors and added the KDX lettering, then had a friend who does vinyl signs to print it on heavy vinyl for me then covered it in clear. Seems to work pretty well.

Last edited:

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Wow! Great custom look. Would that paint work on the plastic tank? I tried fusion from Krylon. Supposed to be made for plastic but if it even smells gas, it comes off.

wannabe1

Feb 20, 2004
Looks good, did you get the Mar-Hyde at a specialty paint store or an auto parts store, Walmart? I have a 93 kdx with the baby blue seat and pink splash so I for sure want to try that. But then my wife will really know who I bought the kdx for after all!

CarpetMan

Sep 1, 2003
I tried the Krylon on the shrouds as you can see in the picture....don't paint your bike anywhere with this!!! It flakes right off and your right even the smallest drop of gas will take it right off. I bought the Mar-Hyde at O'Reily's Auto Parts but you can get it almost anywhere that has a good spray paint selection.

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
What CAN I paint the plastic with that won't come off or look funky? How about paint for the frame (and how do you prep it)? I'm looking for black.

Your seat looks great!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Bravo CarpetMan. That bike looks SWEEEEET!

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Does this stuff come in a bottle that you can paint on with a brush? Was wondering how I could touch up the "CR" on my seat?

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
I painted some BLUE boat seats GRAY with that stuff.

Within a year they were BLUE again :ugg:

codhead

~SPONSOR~
May 26, 2003
Rhodester said:
What CAN I paint the plastic with that won't come off or look funky? How about paint for the frame (and how do you prep it)? I'm looking for black.

not sure about the plastics but normal spray paint works fine on the frame

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
I used a different brand of vinyl spray for a Holden Torana's hood lining and front seats and it held up fine without fading in the 3 years I had it. I'm pretty sure its either made by PJ-1 or by a maker of high heat engine enamels. I cant remember but it was long wearing.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
rethnal said:
Ever heard of FUSION by Krylon?
Check the third post down from the top. FUSION doesn't work well near any fuel environment and it scratches very easily. I tried it on the tank and it is starting to blister from the gas. I tried it on an ice chest and it is so easily scratched that now the icechest looks like crap.
Have you had any luck with it? Let us know of any experiances where it worked as expected.
Thanks!

CarpetMan

Sep 1, 2003
Krylon must be talking about some other type of plastic on which their product will bond, because I can tell you first hand that I have found no type of plastice that it will bond to as advertised. In my opinion it performs just like any other spray paint I've ever tried on plastic.....just scratches right off with very little effort. Maybe their is some sort of method to use to get it to stick better but after calling Krylon's customer service dept. and asking them they didn't have much to say other than they would refund my money with the proof of purchase......it looks to me like some great marketing strategy but not much on the R&D side.

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
You need to sand it with about 800 grade wet and dry sand paper to get rid of the glossy finish so the paint sticks.....But when it does flake and peel off your plastics will look even SH1T1ER. I beleive the paint would stick alot better with a light scuff.

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
I read another post where FUSION held up quite good on a tank. I think he said 8 coats though. I have no experience with the product myself, just offering suggestions.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I painted edges of my number plates with plasti-coat black high gloss spray paint and it has held up for 2+ years. If you do crash and bend the plastic or scrap it, then yes it does come off in that spot. It is not hard to fix though. My rear brake caliper guard is painted too and looks good. I had a factory effex seat with a green side panel and painted it with the gloss and a flat black krylon and had no peeling when seated. I did sand all my surfaces with 400 grit paper before painting. Also make sure there is no greasy substances since the paint will bead up in those areas. Cannot remember what I used, maybe brake cleaner.

Top Bottom