94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
Rd 13 MHSC Sedalia mo.
this race always has a flair as the National flat trackers are in town and it is the end of the State Fair. The weather was beautiful and the recent rains had the dirt in primo condition. The practice lap was fairly quick and the track was coming around in good shape.
I was back in the vet class and was a little nervous. I hadn't raced a Missouri race in a month and was not sure how good of shape I was in. I watched the other classes take off and my legs started shaking..wow!. We had reached the back of the rotation whcih meant we were the 7th class. But dust wouldn't be a factor. I pulled the holeshot with Slade in tow and began running a pace a little faster than I was accustomed to. He got around me at mile 6 but I hung with him and actually rub with him a little. I finished the first lap in 2nd place and felt good. I kept right with Slade and somewhere on the 2nd lap I bobnble and tweaked my knee. I still felt good but lost a little steam. then, on some single track, we ran across a downed rider. I saw my buudies bike standing up and thought he was down. I was frantic. There were several people around so I kept going to make it to the pits to let the crew know. I still tried to race but dropped to 3rd in that mess. I finished the 3rd lap in 3rd. I let the crew know(mistakenly I found out later) That Mark Green was down. it turned out that another guy had gone down and was severely injured and Mark was helping. Anyway, I fought Elston for a few Miles and then I was 4th. I hung with him awhile and then Mike Mack caught me and we race for a lap and a half. By this time I couldn't stand so I was sitting through the rough sections and bouncing down the trail. i was starting to have fun. Mike got around me but then we saw Slad with a busted bike so that renewed me some as I thought I could catch the front runners. Nope, Wade got me and I finished 5th. Knee not so bad today.
Shawn Hall senior rider, Black Jack fast man and all aroung good guy had a broken leg, broken arm and some cuts to his face. If anyone heres anything please post.
Batboy pulled the holeshoit and ran up front for half a lap. Some big mistakes cost him and he ended up 10th. it was the twins birthday(happy 13th Tyler and Joanna) so at least he got a holeshot.

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
Sorry to hear about Shawn. I met him at the Chadwick enduro a couple years ago, and you're right, he is a good guy. I hated to see an ambulance out in the pasture - knew someone must have been pretty banged up.

I did pretty well for the third time in a row...not sure why, maybe it helps to not crash as much! That course can be pretty fun to ride when conditions are absolutely perfect. I was second going into the woods and took the lead within a mile or so. The guys in the rows ahead of me were really flying, as I didn't catch up to anybody until later in the first lap. Had some problems with leg cramps on the first lap, both legs, lasted all through the race. Never had that happen before. As always, I rode pretty bad through the whooped out creek crossings, gave up some time there but made up for it in that beautiful single track. Adam Ashcroft (fast 250B guy) caught me near the end of the 4th lap, but I couldn't let that happen so I got back around him when he stalled, so I didn't have to take him out this time ;) (unlike Round 11 at Florence). A scoring error had me at mid-pack, but we got that fixed and I ended up first in Open B, with Ray Osia 2nd and Marty Smith a close 3rd.

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
Dang it, you're the fast guy in that class now! good job John. As for Adam, he ran a stick between 2 fingers 1" into his his(where the web is on your hand). And he still finished racing.

jeffw

Nov 27, 2001
I saw a Husky laying in the middle of a long field with no one around and thought somebody must have went down hard. Checking chatrats though I guess that was the broke bike ruck is referring too. Glad that was just a broke bike, but sorry to here about your friend Shawn.

The course had a little of everything except big hill climbs and the weather couldn't have been better for August. I wore out after three laps and quit at 1:54, 15-18 in 200C.

Nice meeting you yesterday, John. You were right about the course; my new-to-me steering damper got a work out.

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
Yep, superfast slade broke a hub, wadded a rear sprocket and broke his chain. He was cheering like a fiend when I went by. I love riding the vet class. The guys race ya' then bring beer over later to bench race.

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
How long for a broken foot to heal? This was my first race ever, and was more fun than I had expected, despite the stupid crash. Couple of valuable lessons learned, though. I was riding off the trail for anyone who approached, and that ended up using a lot of energy. After the Steve & Brandon freight train blew past, I should have just let others pass where the opportunities came, rather than riding into the sticks to let everyone by.

The practice lap was valuable for finding the best line. Seems like what looks from the bottom to be the best approach out of some of those creek beds, is not once you see it from the top.

I'm in awe at how some of you guys can keep the front wheel pointed between the trees at the speeds you were moving. Hope to be back soon.

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
Dangit jayhawk...My son has that same tendency. he rides fairly fast but will pull over and stop for anyone. I want him to be courteous but keep his line and pace. I am trying to train him to point where he wants the faster riders to pass and just move alittle. How many laps did you get in?

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
This is off the blackjack enduro site:Shawn Hall Hurt
Posted by Spokes on 8/26/2002, 1:58 pm

I got the word that Shawn got busted up pretty bad at a Missouri Hare Scramble Championship race yesterday at Sedalia, MO.
He broke his leg, hip and wrist. He's got a rod in his leg, a plate in his hip and a halo device in/on his wrist. It looks like he's going to be out of action for months.

He is in St. Johns Hospital in Springfield. I will see Shawn tonight and give an update tomorrow.

Bob Fuerst

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Went 1 lap - broke the foot before M3, so the last 6 miles were interesting. Fortunately, only stalled it once in that time, and that was in a hole where I could stand beside & kick with my left foot.

Blue Thunder

~SPONSOR~
Dec 20, 2000
Good racing fellas, sounds like a dang good time. Come on Ruck, times a runnin' out to get that win for the year...
For anyone wondering about the popularity of KTM's at an off road race, check out the Missouri Harescrambles link in my signature and view the results page for this last race. The Open B class that John(Katoomer) won was a complete field of orange..I noticed that when checking the results...now I KNOW I should have been there to throw some blue into the mix..hehe
Ruck...I'm coming to join ya! That Smithville race I'll jump ship to the Vet class and we can have some fun...I am 30 now ya know :p

knobby hob

Apr 7, 2002
Kinda off from the original thread, but, does anyone have any info on the Smithville race? I heard it would be moved from off of "W" to off of "F" highway. Any info on what the terrain will consist of? I imagain it`ll be fairly tight and hopefully a few more hills.

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
Tom Eidam is the man. I will let him know you are interested. I am sure he will be at Eugene. John, it is going to be new trail dude!

Top Bottom