murcada

Dec 16, 2002
I tried tightening my spokes today and found that about 10 of the spokes on my rear tire have absolutely no tension on them. The problem is that the nipples are seized and wont budge. How do I break them loose?

endosports

Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by murcada
I tried tightening my spokes today and found that about 10 of the spokes on my rear tire have absolutely no tension on them. The problem is that the nipples are seized and wont budge. How do I break them loose?

Try to soak them with penetrating lube.

What happened is who ever build the wheel didn'd use spoke oil on the threads. Once you wash your bike a couple times then the rust up. Don't force water with a pressure washer in the nipples.

Most likely you will have to cut all the spokes out and start over with a new set.

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
take the tire off the rim and soak the nipple from both sides (under the rim strap)with "pb blaster" if you can find it let it soak overnight.its the only penetrating oil that i have found that really works most auto supply shops have it in stock i would also give the torch a try.

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
i had the same problem a little while ago, we gbot a few loose with the torch and penetrating oil, but the rest we had to cut, it was only like 20$(canadian) for 7 spokes

Mr. Clean

~SPONSOR~
Nov 8, 2001
PB Blaster is available at Wal-Mart and it is cheap! I am experimenting with it as a cable lube(excellent) and as an O-Ring chain lube(Jury is still out on this one)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom