CZ511

Mar 2, 2003
How often do we read an ad that goes something like this......

For sale: 19?? KDX 200. Super clean with FMF pipe....... just no time to ride.

Yup, thats me and several other ads I see, "No time to ride" I was listing my 2002 KDX for sale and my wife says "What are you doing, you just bought the bike, don't sell it" I decided to hold onto to it and I'm glad I did. Today, I rode my six year old around the yard (which I do from time to time) and she had an absolute blast!! My point to all this, one year ago, my daughters were 3 & 5 and their was no hope in site for me to ride anymore. Well, here we are, one year later and I,m rippin up the lawn, doing whellies with my daughter on the bike. Today, for the first time she put her hand on top of mine and operated the throttel. Now, we are looking for a quad. So, for those of us who " Just don't have time" Hang in there, the kids grow up real fast and before you now it, you may be looking at quads, or, if you don't have kids, a ten minute rip around the yard sometimes is all we need! Just a 41 year old dad who is glad he did not sell his dirt bike.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Yeah hang in there. My dad couldn't ever go riding until I got a RM80. For all those kids who give up after they get their first bike stick to it and you'll have a blast. Don't expect to ride like a pro the first week. It takes practice but have fun.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Calcuate the cost, expense and time for taking your kids out into the woods on dirtbikes and then compare that to family therapy charges. I have two boys who are now college grads, successful and most of all happy adults. Do I owe it all to dirtbikes? No, dirtbikes were the vehicle (sic) to spending time together. Make time now with your kids or spend time later dealing with a stranger in a session. CZ, you are making out to be a wonderful father! (with one very smart wife, hang on to that one!)

P.S. study up on quads. In California the rider needs to be at least 16 for good reason. Don't skimp on any of the riding safety gear either. Take those girls cothes shopping for riding gear, especially helmets!

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Quad? Don't do it.

If she can ride a bicycle she can ride a bike. My 4-year old soloed the XR50 on his 4th birthday! Don't put a kid on a quad unless they just don't have any balance. The reason...

Bikes are safer. Think about it. A bike requires learned skills and therefor commands respect. Quads don't require any skill and don't earn the riders respect. I can't tell you how many times I've heard a dad say "I got a quad because I thought they were safe..until my son rolled it in a turn".

BTW - Your wife sounds cool to tell you to keep the bike. Most hate 'em because they compete with your time.

Knobbyjake

~SPONSOR~
Jan 29, 2000
I agree with RV6junkie about the quads. A couple friends of mine talked me out of getting my girls quads for the same reason. Their kids rolled them around a turn or going across a side hill. Bought one of my girls a TTR125 and the other an XR100 last year at ages 10 & 12. You should see them go this year. Took them very little time to adapt to them. My wife has been riding with me since '85 so it really is a family affair now.

MUDMAX

Jan 7, 2003
I sold my '90 kdx 200 for that very reason 9 years ago...Notime to ride/no place to store it....What a mistake !!! So i bought a new 2001 220. About only 7 good rides this summer, and a few wheelies in the street..... But when i want to ride, i got it ! As you say "you buy it , you don't sell it !"

Keep on KDXing !!!

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
In Alaska there were several kids a year killed on quads. They wore no helmet and were all travelling at speeds in excess of 50mph.
It is so easy to get over confident on a quad because people think of them as cars, when in fact they are more dangerous than bikes due to their sheer mass and short wheelbase(tendancy to bounce and roll).

Knobbyjake

~SPONSOR~
Jan 29, 2000
As far as thinking of selling your KDX, I'm kind of in the same boat. My dilemma has to do with injury though. I've got a '92 XR600. I hurt my back in '99. I've been riding the Honda but it's hard on me if I have to pick it up, the starting drill, etc, so I've been looking for something more user friendly. 2 months ago I found the Deal of the Century, (DOC), a brand new '01 KDX 200 with a killer price. I told my wife I wouldn't buy another bike until I sold the Honda but this was too  good of a deal to pass on so I bought it, putting the XR up for sale. Two days before picking up my Kaw I really blew my back up but the deal was done so I got it anyways. Now it and the XR are just sitting in my garage looking good, but riderless. I've only had minor interest in the selling of the XR but a lot of interest if I sell my KDX. I could use the money right now but know I will not be able to buy another brand new bike for what I paid for my KDX, plus from just  putting around the yard I can tell I'm going to love it! Now I have a payment on a bike I can't ride, which I wouldn't have if the darn Honda would sell. Oh well better days are coming. :)  Sorry so long.

Petzl

Nov 22, 2002
There is nothing fundementally wrong with quads. They are a better value for your money since they can be used year round (snow), and hold their value better than a little dirt bike. You should get a kid what they want and feel more comfortable on. If all their buddies have quads, then they will have more fun on a quad. If its the other way, then get a bike.

I have both a quad and a dirt bike and get so sick of the quad trashing that goes along with this site. Both machines are fun. They get you outside, and you can spend time together. Who cares what you get, just get something and enjoy the ride.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Petzl

I have both a quad and a dirt bike and get so sick of the quad trashing that goes along with this site.

Get over it :confused:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I too have both (see my signature). Kyle has Spina Bifida and can't use his legs. His judgment of speed and distance is very poor too. But that doesn't stop the two of us (or him and his mom or him and his friends) from riding together. In fact, in the last several weeks, since our trip to DirtWeek, Kyle has developed very good control of the quad. It is my hope that someday, with the right adaptation, he will be able to solo this machine (electric shift and hand brakes - no feet required).

So I like quads. I enjoy riding it too. But they are much more dangerous than bikes. It’s just a fact.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Everybody feels comfortable on a quad esp. if its their first ride compared to a bike.

Who says you can't ride a dirt bike in the snow, Petzl.:)

DoubleTrouble

May 26, 2000
Sell my KDX, no way ! Just one ride on it brought back memories of my youth and riding an Yamaha IT250. The KDX is cushy, powerfull and just right for my kind of riding.

My 4 year old son rides a KDX 50 and my daughter an XR50. My son can have the KDX200 for his 16th birthday !

As to quads vs bikes. My son has had his KDX land on him with no adverse affects. I'd hate to see what a much heavier machine like a quad would have done. Anyway, he already has a quad - A pedal go-cart !

Next bike for him. How about a rebadged RM80, a KDX80 !

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
I have greatly enjoyed reading this thread, it reminds me of why I got my new 03 200 in the first place.

I'm 36 and married with three little boys. My wife hates every second I spend on that bike (even wrenching in the garage) and puts up tons of backpressure about it, so the guy who started this forum with the "cool wife" is fortunate (from that standpoint).

My kids, however, LOVE the bike. They love for me to ride them around the yard, and I'm itching to get bikes for them so we can go riding together.

I don't get to ride it as much as I want, but hey, when I CAN ride it, it is in the garage just waiting on me to fire her up and take off. And when you're riding and trying to stay ON the bike and OFF of trees and the ground, it is hard to think about all of the crap you have to deal with during the week. Off-road riding is an amazing release from the minutia that make up our lives.

I plan to keep that bike forever! :yeehaw:

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Well said wanaride! Remind your wife that you could be spending the time and money sitting on a bar stool, or you can spend it on a dirtbike with the boys. My wife learned to appreciate a quiet Sunday afternoon reading a book with the cat purring at her feet while the boys and I were out riding, compaired to playing short order cook and being snack mom for the soccer team. When we got home, we all had stories to share at the dinner table and we stayed a family instead of all growing our own seperate ways as they matured. My boys learned how to maintain and repair their own cars by first learning on our bikes.
P.S. I am flying out to Raleigh NC on Sunday. Any tips on sites I should get in while I am there? I am there until Wednesday evening and have my afternoons from 1pm until the next morning at 8am open for sightseeing.

Last edited:

carl kaker

Nov 4, 2003
i have three daughters, ages 15,12,9 and 2 ozarks, a xr 50 and a 2003 kdx 200. we ride nearly every weekend and everyone get to ride what they want exept me because the 15 yr old always wants my bike, but oh well its all fun. always wear helmets and boots and dont let them ride past theyre ability.

DoubleTrouble

May 26, 2000
Spent last weekend riding at Lake McKenzie and the kids had a ball. Taika (6) rode her XR50 like a star. She fell a couple of time only to get back up and carry on. She sings while she rides and it's a hoot to watch her.

My son Bevan (4) also had a great time on his KDX 50 and has not stopped talking about it.

I tried to leave the wife in Wichita but she wouldn't hear of it. She wanted to ride ! She bashed around on the KDX200 for a while but after she got hold of BunduBashers Pampera, there was no stopping her.

The KDX ripped it up and I enjoyed myself thoroughly. This is one great bike.

Sell my KDX, I think not !

Top Bottom