sell the KDX ?

cadjocky

Apr 4, 2003
This may seem stupid, but I bought a 1998 KDX this spring and I think it's a great bike and all ... but ... the only places I ever ride are MX tracks. There just isn't any nice places to trail ride where I live (that I've found anyway). I hate to beat up a perfectly good bike on these MX tracks. I'm certainly no MX pro (43 years old), but this neighbor kids KTM 125 sure makes my bike feel "wrong." I'm thiinking about selling it for a true MX'er. Am I kidding myself that the KDX isn't worth keeping? Could I get $1800 for this low hour, unrebuilt, only dropped once bike? Should I keep it and just expect 5% less performance?

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Ride what you like. I do ride the occasional MX track, in fact my practice riding area on my property in a light-duty MX track. I prefer to ride snotty trails so the KDX is a good choice for me.

I like the way the KDX delivers its power to the ground. No, it can’t keep up with a true MX bike but at 40 years old I’m not sure that I want to keep up. A friend of mine has a YZ250 that I love riding, but it does wear me out.

The truth is one bike just isn’t enough! This winter I’m sure that I’ll be rebuilding a KX or YZ 250 basket case that has yet to be found. New bikes are nice but my philosophy is to spend less on my bikes but own more of them.

If the KDX is letting you down, you might want to try and upgrade the suspension and exhaust system. It will make a huge difference in the bike, however it will NEVER be a MX bike. Do you need a great MX bike or just a very good one?

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Yes, I have about 500 hours on it.

cadjocky

Apr 4, 2003
Cool ... I have gone in circles trying to decide what I want to do next. I want the performance of the kit, but they cost plenty, but they are new, but I can fly tomorrow if I buy, but it will be 20 years old, but the RV6 can go 180 ... yada yada. I had a great Cessna 150, then bought a moneypit Cherokee. Now I want a RV6A!

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
There are plenty of them on the used market. Good examples sell for around $70,000 to $80,000. An older (5 years and older) RV6 can be had for $50,000 to $60,000.

Without a doubt, the RV series of aircraft are the best flying aircraft in the sky. Once you fly one its hard to go back to anything else.

CMcCarthy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2002
On the original note, Keep the KDX and buy a lightly used MX bike. You can probably get a 2000 KX125 for $2000 if you shop arond a little. You can spend all the money in the world on the KDX trying to make it a MX bike, but its just not the right tool for the job.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…